The Amazon Echo and Echo Dot are the most popular smart speakers on the market. They come with Alexa, your friendly digital assistant!
Each generation of the popular Amazon Echo & Echo Dot comes with a light ring on the top to communicate. This is a circle that goes around the entire circumference of the device. From time to time, this ring will flash in different colors, like green, blue, red, and yellow.
Each of these colors signifies a state or a notification. For example, if the ring flashes blue, it means your Echo is starting up.
If you notice your Echo speaker flashing red, it can mean two things. Either the microphone on your Echo is turned off, or there is a problem with your internet connection.
Read on to find out how to solve these two issues!
Alexa Red Ring – Microphone Disabled
Each Amazon Echo line of smart speakers comes with a light on its top. Depending on the circumstances, your Amazon Echo device, be it Echo Dot or Echo Mini, can flash a wide array of lights.
But what does Alexa flashing red signify? There are two reasons why your Echo might be glowing red. The first reason communicates that the microphone on your Amazon Alexa device has been muted.
- Don’t plug out your Amazon Alexa.
- Keep it turned on, and check if the microphone button is also flashing red.
- Flashing red on the top ring and the microphone button simultaneously means you have accidentally or purposely muted the mic.
- Simply press the microphone button that is flashing red.
- Wait for a few seconds until the red light vanishes.
- Once the red flashing light disappears, your Amazon Echo should work just fine.
Alexa Red Ring – Lost Internet Connection
There is one more reason why your Alexa might be flashing red. It can happen if your Alexa device is failing to connect to the internet. But how would you know the difference between the two variations of flashing red lights? Well, if you see both the top ring as well as the mic button on top of your Amazon device flashing red, that means the mic has been muted. Simply unmuting it will solve this problem.
On the other hand, if you only see the top light ring flashing red, that means there is a problem with the internet connection. If you are having this issue, your Amazon Alexa will not be able to respond to any of your voice commands.
Firstly, check your internet connection on another device. You might face this problem if your network connection is disrupted or you are using a WLAN repeater. Make sure your internet connection is working. If you still face problems, follow the below steps.
- Restart your Echo. (Unplug and then plug it back in) – This alone may solve the problem. If not then proceed with the next steps.
- Restart your router/modem (Unplug and then plug it back in) – Like above, this may also solve the problem. If not then proceed with the next steps.
- If the above does not work then you will need to reconnect your Speaker to the WiFi network.
- On the Echo speaker, Press and hold the Action button (Dot button) for 6 seconds.
- The LED ring will start flashing orange.
- Open the Alexa App on your smartphone
- Click on the Echo device and select Wi-fi network
- Re-establish the Wi-Fi connection via the Alexa app.
- Alexa should now be successfully reconnected to your Wi-Fi network
That’s it! By now you have read about the probable reasons why your Amazon Echo Red Ring may be glowing. Just to recap, there are two primary reasons for which your Echo might be flashing Red.
If the mic on your Amazon Alexa is turned off, it will flash the red light. And if there is a problem with your internet connection, your Echo will do the same. We hope that now you can solve the flashing red error on your Echo. However, if you need any further clarification, please leave a comment below.