Multi-Point locks are much more secure than standard deadbolts as instead of relying on a single locking mechanism, these locks use multiple locking points to secure your door.
This makes them much harder to break into than traditional locks, which can often be picked or bypassed.
However, multi-point door locks are not very common in the United States, whereas in Europe, they are fitted in most homes. For that reason, there are a lot more choices of multi-point smart locks in Europe than in the US.
Note: Unlike the installation of single-cylinder smart locks like the August Smart Lock, the installation process for smart multi-point locks is generally more complicated and can involve modifications to the door and door handle.
USA Multipoint Smart Locks
USA Multipoint Door Locks generally use an American-style cylinder (mortise, profile, KIK, or IC cylinder). As a result, smart locks made for European multi-point systems won’t work without lock or door modifications.
The Bad News: There is only one smart multi-point lock designed for USA Multi-points and these only work for Anderson-branded multipoint locks. HOPPE has a keyless electronic lock however it is very expensive and requires professional installation. If you have a HOPPE, Pella, Emtek, Marvin, G-U (Gretsch-Unitas), or Roto multi-point lock then you need to look at other options.
While not DIY-friendly, the only other approaches you can take to smarten up your multi-point lock, without getting a completely new door is either…
- Swap out your existing US cylinder for a Euro cylinder lockset and use the likes of the Nuki or Danalock below
- Or try one of the European multi-point models below (like the Yale Conexis or Ultion Nuki).
However, not all multipoint locks are designed to accommodate different cylinder types.
So the problem with this approach is you’ll likely need to make some heavy modifications to your door which may compromise its security, so it isn’t really a great option. You may also run into insurance issues in cases of a claim down the line.
If you were thinking of going down this road, I’d advise consulting a professional locksmith.
UK & Europe Multipoint Locks
UK and European Multipoint Locks tend to use Euro Cylinders (or in some cases UK Oval, Swiss, or Nordic) and are commonly found in uPVC doors, composite doors, and some wooden doors.
There are two types of products you can use to smarten up your multi-point lock.
- Products like the Yale Conexis allow the replacement of both handles and mechanisms for locking and unlocking
- Products like the Danalock and Bold adapt to your existing cylinder or provide a replacement
Option 1: Full replacement of Lock and Handle
Option 2: Adaption to or Replacement of the Lock Cylinder
USA Smart Multipoint Locks
- Lock Type: Keypad
- Style: Touchscreen, Smart Module
- Color: Satin Nickel
- Control Method: Touch
- Batteries: Required, Alkaline
- One Touch Locking: Yes
- Key-Free: No lost keys, no pick and bump break-ins
- Battery Backup: Energize with a 9V battery
No more fumbling with keys – this touchscreen keypad lock is sleek, stylish, and designed for use with Andersen patio doors. It provides easy, secure access with just a touch and features bump-proof technology to keep your home safe.
I like the simple installation process; there's no need for professional help, saving time and money. Long-lasting alkaline batteries power the lock, and it includes a 9V battery backup to stay functional even when the main batteries run out.
Although the lock has a satin nickel finish and a modern look, I was disappointed by the reported incompatibility issues with Alexa and its app. However, the lock comes with a one-year warranty on electronics and a lifetime warranty on finish and mechanics, offering peace of mind and reliable security.
- Easy installation process
- Compatible with Andersen patio doors
- Touchscreen keypad for keyless entry
- Battery back-up for consistent power
- Sleek, modern design in various finishes
- Daytime display and wake-up feature issues
- Inconsistent syncing with Alexa and app
- Occasional beeping reported
- Customer service concerns
- Potentially overpriced considering features and performance
UK & Europe Smart Multipoint Locks
- Manufacturer: Ultion
- App Control: Yes
- Size: Suitable for doors under 55mm thickness (Other options available for over 55mm)
- Color: White
- Style: Unit + Bridge
- Battery: 4 AA batteries (included)
- Battery Type: Alkaline
- Item Weight: 2.2 kg
This smart lock kit is tailor-made for UK doors. It works with standard push-down handles and various escutcheon types for a perfect fit. The simple installation process uses your existing handle and lock screws, and suits doors thinner or thicker than 55mm.
I like how the Nuki app shows the door lock status, making key fumbling obsolete. Lock and unlock your door using your phone or smartwatch, give temporary or regular access to loved ones, and track door usage with the activity log. The kit also has battery alerts and supports voice commands, meeting all your modern, on-the-go needs.
The smart lock kit also ensures safety with its Ultion security features. Experience the defense of a 3-Star PLUS Ultion lock and a special lockdown mode that deters forced entry. Its robust molybdenum and hardened steel build is approved by Locksmiths, Secure By Design, and Kitemark Grade 6, 3-star rating. However, it is unfortunate that geofencing only recommends locking the door instead of doing it automatically.
- Convenient app control
- Geo fencing feature for automatic locking
- Compatible with most UK doors
- 3-Star PLUS Ultion lock for high security
- Battery-powered with low power notification
- Requires separate purchase of Nuki Bridge for remote access
- Limited compatibility with existing Ultion locks
- Battery replacement necessary every few months
- Keyless Entry: No need for a key
- Easy Installation: PVC & composite doors
- BSI Approved: World's first BSI approved smart lock
- Battery Powered: 4 x AA batteries included, low battery alert
- Remote Features: Unlock and check door status
- App Control: Via Yale Access App
- Included Components: Conexis L2, Wi-Fi connect bridge, key tag, key card, fixing pack
- Material: Polyvinyl Chloride
Ditch traditional keys with this smart door lock's keyless entry system. Unlock your door using a key card, tag, or your phone for a hassle-free experience. Enjoy secure and convenient home access for years to come.
Upgrade your home security with the first BSI-approved smart lock. Designed for PVC and composite doors, this lock offers a modern look without compromising safety. Easily install it using just a screwdriver.
Control your smart lock remotely through app compatibility. Receive low battery alerts and monitor your door from anywhere for constant peace of mind. Powered by four AA batteries, experience long-lasting convenience.
- Keyless for added convenience
- Easy to install on most doors
- BSI approved for security
- Battery-operated with low-battery alert
- Remote functionalities available
- Requires batteries for operation
- A lot of complaints about the Yale App online
- Unlocking Methods: Fingerprint, key-card, mobile phone app
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: Yes, for remote functionality
- Sharing Options: Permanent and temporary e-Keys
- Weather Resistance: Fully water-resistant zinc alloy construction
- Voice Commands: Notifications for locked, unlocked, and low battery status
- Battery Life: 6-8 months on 4 AA batteries, 9V battery for emergencies
- App Features: Access management, activity log, remote access, special notifications
- Compatibility: Lift lever multipoint locks with 92mm distance
This smart lock stands out with its multiple unlocking options, such as fingerprint, key-card, or mobile app, to suit various user preferences. Its adaptability makes it a great choice for those who want the flexibility to switch between different unlocking methods depending on their situation.
With Wi-Fi connectivity, this lock enables remote management of your home's security from anywhere. You can easily distribute permanent or temporary e-Keys, check lock status using voice commands, and even monitor access history through an activity log - perfect for landlords overseeing tenant and contractor access.
Built with rainproof, zinc alloy material and a 7-layer plating, this lock offers a durable solution for your home. It also has long battery life, using 4 AA batteries, and an emergency power backup with a 9V battery to ensure reliability in harsh weather conditions. Additionally, user settings are preserved during battery changes, making this lock a hassle-free security option.
- Three main ways to unlock your door: fingerprint, key-card, and mobile app
- Share permanent or temporary e-Keys for family, friends, and guests
- Easy to install and DIY friendly with simple instructions and videos
- Fully waterproof and made of high-quality materials
- Long battery life and low battery notifications with an option for emergency power
- App features for landlords, business owners, and property owners for added security and convenience
- Can recognize up to 50 fingerprints per lock and has voice commands for locking/unlocking notifications
- Supports lift lever multipoint locks and comes in multiple colors
- Only works with lift lever multipoint locks and may not fit all doors
- Unlocking Methods: Fingerprint, Passcode, Phone Tag/Proxy Fob, Smartphone Bluetooth, Apple Watch, NFC (Android), Emergency Keys
- Voice Control: Compatible with Alexa and Google Home (requires separate WiFi Bridge)
- Access Sharing: Grant temporary or recurring access through iOS/Android app
- Installation: Fits most door types, including multipoint locking systems
- Weatherproof: Designed for outdoor use
- Connectivity: Bluetooth, WiFi (with separate Bridge)
- Power Source: 4 AA batteries (included)
- Warranty: 2-year guarantee from London-based headquarters
The Simpled Smart Lock Touch offers seven ways to unlock your door. I like the variety of convenient options like fingerprint, passcode, Bluetooth, and NFC, combining convenience and security. Plus, it includes emergency physical keys for traditionalists.
Compatible with both Android and iOS, this lock enhances any smart home. Pair it with Alexa or Google Home via a separate WiFi Bridge for voice control, and even manage access with an Apple Watch.
Easily and safely share your home using the Simpled Smart Lock Touch. Temporarily or permanently assign and manage access codes through an intuitive app. Monitor entry records and schedules, ensuring total control over home access. But, be aware that installing it might be difficult for non-standard or thick doors.
- Multiple unlocking methods
- Easy key sharing via app
- Works well with multipoint locks
- Retrofit friendly for most doors
- Compatible with Alexa/Google Home
- Weatherproof and durable
- Great customer support
- Installation difficult for some
- Poor quality batteries included
- Fingerprint reader not reliable for everyone
- Not suitable for all door thicknesses
- WiFi Bridge sold separately
- Apple HomeKit Compatibility: Control and manage from Apple devices
- ETSI Accreditation: Ensures high-security standards
- Sold Secure Approval: Tested and certified for security
- PAS 24:2016 Compliant: Meets established security testing standards
- Avia iOS App: Control all Avia smart home products from Apple devices
- Bluetooth 5 Connectivity: Stable connection and wide range
- Manual Key Override: Keep using your existing manual key in case of outage
- Lock Status Alerts: Ensures complete security awareness
Upgrade your home security with an Avia Doorlock that works smoothly with Apple HomeKit. This means it's compatible with many Apple devices like iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and HomePod. Use the easy-to-navigate Avia iOS app to control your smart home devices and enjoy unmatched convenience and peace of mind from your favorite Apple device.
Get top-notch protection with Avia Doorlock, which meets ETSI accreditation and PAS 24:2016 standards for anti-theft resistance. It also has Sold Secure approval, which boost its security abilities. Built from sturdy zinc castings, the lock offers strong coverage, and its advanced password features and secure encryption protect you from 'man in the middle' attacks.
Experience the flexibility of Avia Doorlock, as it works with different lock styles like fob, keypad, and handle-operated multipoint locking doors. It also has Bluetooth 5 for a stable, long-range connection to your devices. And don't worry about power outages - you can still use a manual key to unlock, so you're never locked out.
- Proven to be the most secure smart lock available
- Provides a complete audit trail of lock activity
- Compatible with Apple Homekit technology
- Designed to be the best and most secure smart lock ever
- Comes with a manual key override
- Suitable for most handle operated multipoint locking doors
- Offers total control and can be shared with family and friends via the app
- Completely keyless: No need for traditional keys
- Suitable for all traditional European door locks
- SKG *** quality mark: Ensures a high level of safety
- Access control: Choose who can enter and when
- Pin code option: Alternative way to open the lock
- Easy installation: Takes only five minutes
- Auto-activation: Bluetooth unlocks door automatically
- Bold Connect compatibility: Remotely control lock via Wi-Fi
The Bold Smart Lock SX-43 offers keyless functionality, letting you unlock your door with a PIN code or manage user access through an app. I appreciate the reliable lock and app performance, delivering smart convenience and secure access.
This smart lock works with standard European door locks and holds the SKG*** safety certification, ensuring top-security for your home. The SX-43 comes in different sizes for various door lock measurements, making it highly compatible.
With its battery-free operation, the Bold Smart Lock SX-43 eliminates battery replacement worries. Using Bluetooth, this lock doesn't need battery power for control. The Matt Satin Chrome and Nickel finishes match well with your door, blending sleek design with functionality.
However, I found the reports of inconsistent geofencing and slow response times disappointing. This could be improved in future lock versions. Overall, the Bold Smart Lock SX-43 brings smart home technology to a new level, simplifying daily life while keeping your home secure.
- Lock and app work as intended
- Easy installation
- Keyless access
- Suitable for European door locks
- SKG *** Quality
- Customizable access control
- Optional pin code entry
- Inconsistent geofencing performance
- Remote management requires additional device
- Potential mounting issues
- Connectivity: Bluetooth & Zigbee (Also a Z-Wave Option)
- Easy Installation: Yes
- App Control: Yes
- Compatibility: iOS (iPhone 4S or later) and Android (from 4.4)
- Door Types: All doors with a Euro profile cylinder
- Battery Operated: Yes
- Integration: Zigbee home automation systems
- Cylinder: Not included
This smart lock works with both iOS and Android devices, making it highly adaptable for many users. You can easily manage and control access through a dedicated app, keeping your home security within reach. It also connects via Bluetooth and Zigbee for smooth integration with other smart devices.
The Danalock V3 Smart Lock has a sleek circular design, making it unobtrusive and stylish, weighing only 390 grams. I liked the easy installation and the attractive design that fits well with doors featuring Euro profile cylinders. This way, you can rapidly secure your home without bulky or unsightly hardware.
The Danalock V3 Smart Lock prioritizes security with advanced encryption technology. It offers remote control options, integrating effortlessly with home automation systems and various smart devices.
You can even connect the lock with cloud services like IFTTT and Google Nest for a fully connected, secure smart home environment. However, it's a shame that some users reported reliability issues after a month, and inconsistencies in the cloud service.
- Aesthetically pleasing design
- Simple installation process
- No batteries included
- App control feature
- Compatible with iOS and Android
- Connects via Bluetooth and Zigbee
- Durability issues reported
- Inconsistent cloud service
- App may log out unexpectedly
- Cylinder not included with the lock
- Battery Life: Up to 14 months
- Control Options: Button, app, keypad, and Apple Watch
- Connectivity: Tedee bridge for remote features and smart home integration
- Compatibility: European, Swiss, and Nordic lock cylinder types
- Keyless Access: Share digital keys via app
- Door History: Available in app
- Installation: Easy self-assembly
- User Access Levels: Owner, Administrator, Guest
The tedee lock, powered by batteries, lasts up to 14 months before needing a charge, providing a hassle-free experience. It lets you securely access your home without frequently worrying about its battery life.
This smart lock is easy to use - just press a button, use an app, or opt for a keypad for keyless entry without a smartphone. The compatibility with different cylinders and adapters ensures it fits various lock types.
For security-conscious users, tedee lock tracks door usage data, showing who enters your home. You can control entry by giving digital keys, setting access levels, and receiving lock activation notifications. It's great for private homes, apartments, and rental properties.
- Easy to install on your own
- Charge only needed every 14 months
- Can be used without a smartphone through the keypad
- Share digital keys with friends and family easily
- Needs a tedee bridge for remote features and integration with other smart home systems
- Compatibility may be limited based on lock cylinder type and door frame distance
- Easy Retrofitting: Simple installation on any door type
- Keyless Access: Incorporates smartphones, keycards, fobs, or wearables
- State-of-the-Art Security: Advanced encryption and drill protection
- Smart Access Technology: RFID, NFC, and Bluetooth enabled
- SALTO SVN-Flex Technology: Wireless updates of card access information
- JustIN Mobile Technology: iOS and Android compatibility for mobile key access
- Capacity: Up to 4 million users per door, with unlimited access levels
- Customizable: Wide range of finishes, including black and white reader options
The SALTO Neo Cylinder allows for easy upgrades by replacing existing door cylinders quickly and effortlessly, without screws or drilling. This ensures a hassle-free setup in just minutes, enabling keyless entry through smartphones, keycards, fobs, or wearables.
Say goodbye to generic security designs; the SALTO Neo Cylinder offers personalization. It provides various standard finishes and distinct features, like black and white readers, adding a personal touch to your door. Regardless of your decor, there's an option to match your preference and blend with your environment.
The SALTO Neo Cylinder combines security and versatility, supporting numerous RFID standards and networking modes to fit different buildings and door needs. With advanced encryption techniques, a drill-resistant structure, and the capacity for up to four million users, this cylinder excels at providing unparalleled protection and user-friendliness.
- Easy to install and retrofit
- Universally compatible with all doors and unlimited model options
- Complete mobile-compatible and keyless entry
- State-of-the-art security features to protect against advanced attacks
- Stand-alone SVN smart electronic cylinder with RFID, NFC, and Bluetooth technology
- Offers limitless choices to customize your door
- Not suitable for all UK and European cylinder formats
Products Ruled Out
During my research, I ruled out a host of products for a variety of reasons
- EntrySync MultiPoint Smart Lock – Seems to still be in development
- Neatmo – Seems to still be in development as not available to buy anywhere
- Lockly Guard and Lokcly Pro were announced but no sign of them yet so either still in development or product lines have been pulled
- Ultraloq UL300 – Can’t find this on sale anywhere. Perhaps its discontinued
- Luston Slim Smart Lock – Customer reviews of this lock are not convincing.
- Ruveno – Based on reviews, it doesn’t seem to work that well with multi-point locks
- Yale Linus Smart Lock – This is very big so it may struggle to fit in place of the existing thumb turn or keyhole
Important Considerations when upgrading your multi-point lock
Types of Locking Mechanisms
Lever/handle up multipoint mechanisms
In this system, the user has to lift the door handle or lever upwards to engage the multiple locking points along the doorframe. Once the handle is lifted, the bolts, hooks, or rollers extend and lock into the corresponding points on the doorframe, providing a secure connection. After engaging the locking points, you usually need to turn a key or thumb turn to lock the door completely.
Slam multipoint mechanisms
Also known as automatic multipoint locks, these mechanisms automatically engage the multiple locking points when the door is closed or “slammed” shut. In this system, you don't need to lift the handle to engage the locking points. When the door is closed, the latch triggers the locking points to extend and lock into the doorframe. However, you still need to use a key or thumb turn to secure the door fully.
The Ultion Nuki, for example, works with both mechanisms. You’ll need to check the compatibility of the product against the type of mechanism to make sure it’ll work correctly.
Compatibility with existing smart home systems
It’s important to ensure your new smart lock is compatible with your existing smart home systems.
For instance, the Yale Conexis L2 Smart Door Lock works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and Philips Hue, while the Simpled Weatherproof Smart Lock Touch is compatible with both Alexa and Google Home.
By choosing a smart lock that integrates seamlessly with your current setup, you'll be able to easily manage and control access to your home through a centralized system.
As mentioned, installing multi-point smart locks is not always straightforward.
For a seamless setup experience, look for locks that offer DIY-friendly installation guides or support from local professionals if you need additional assistance. Ensuring compatibility with your door's measurements and lock type is key.
For example, the Ultion Nuki can be installed on doors under 55mm thickness and it also has an option for over 55mm.
It's important that you get a smart lock that stands the test of time.
For instance, the Yale Assure Lock for Andersen® Patio Doors boasts a key-free design that eliminates the risk of lock-picking, while the Yale Conexis L2 proudly holds the title of the world's first BSI-approved smart lock.
Ultion Nuki Smart Lock elevates security further with its 3-star PLUS Ultion lock and Lockdown Mode. When it comes to weather resistance, Simpled Weatherproof Smart Lock Touch is designed specifically for the UK weather.
A long-lasting battery ensures continuous operation, like the Tedee Smart Lock, which only needs charging every 14 months.
In addition to reliable battery life, having backup options like the Yale Assure Lock is essential.
It's powered by a battery and can be energized with a 9V battery to prevent power loss. Some smart locks, such as the Yale Conexis L2, alert you when the batteries are running low, ensuring you can replace them in time.
Do smart locks work with multipoint locks?
In the US, most smart locks are designed for single-cylinder deadbolts and do not directly work with multipoint locks. However, some specialized smart lock models, such as the Yale Assure for Anderson locks, are compatible with multipoint lock systems. There are also a few smart locks designed for mortise and jimmy-proof locks.
In Europe, several smart lock brands offer options that are compatible with multipoint locks, as they are more common in the region. This includes the Yale Conexis and the Nuki Euro-Cylinder Smart Lock.
What is the difference between American and European multipoint locks?
The difference between American and European multipoint locks lies primarily in their locking mechanisms. European multipoint locks have several locking points that engage simultaneously when the key turns, providing enhanced security.
In contrast, American multipoint locks typically use a combination of deadbolts and latch bolts with separate locking points, which may not offer the same level of security as European designs.