A common question we get asked is can you hook up your Chamberlain myQ garage door opener with your Google Home setup and control with Google Assistant. There’s not a simple answer so let us explain …
Does Chamberlain myQ Work with Google Home & Google Assistant?
Chamberlain myQ does not work with Google Home, but it does work with Google Assistant. It’s important to note that there is currently a Chamberlain annual subscription fee of $10 for this feature. Click here for more details.
If you want to properly hook up your Google Home system with your Chamberlain garage door opener, then check out our alternatives below!
- If you’re using your myQ app with Google Assistant, you can close the door or check if it’s open or closed at any given moment.
- At the same time, you cannot open your garage door using voice control. You also can’t add your garage to rooms on Google Home or integrate it into your routine.
Meet the Devices
Many people all over the world continue to enjoy the convenience of being able to command their garage doors by voice. You can ask myQ to close your garage door using Google Assistant, or check to see if it’s open or closed. Voice a command and the smart technology will make it happen!
- Ok Google, Tell myQ to close the garage door
- Ok Google, ask myQ if the garage door is open
Chamberlain & Google Assistant Apps
Here are the apps you will need to install to get Chamberlain myQ working with Google Google Assistant.
- MyQ is compatible with many different brands of garage door openers. Think Chamberlain, Liftmaster, Genie, Raynor, and so on. The only thing you need to have is a smart garage. Check the compatibility tool on the myQ website to see if your garage door opener is compatible with myQ.
- You can get Google’s personal assistant technology on any Google Assistant device.
How to Connect Chamberlain myQ with Google Assistant?
Before you can link your myQ account to your Google Home account, you need to make sure you have the myQ app and the Google Assistant app. Bear in mind that connecting myQ and Google Assistant is a paid service that requires a yearly payment of around $10.
- You need to go into your myQ account and select “Add subscription”.
- Then you’ll be able to choose Google Assistant and your preferred billing cycle.
- Once you’ve placed your order, you can go into your myQ app, click “Menu” and select “Works with myQ”.
- Find Google Assistant in Account Linking and launch the Google Assistant app.
Alternative Integration Methods
As you already know, connecting myQ with Google Assistant can be difficult. You have to download both apps, have accounts with each platform, and pay a subscription fee. In addition to that, you can’t even connect your myQ account to your Google Home. Here are alternative ways of connecting myQ with Google Home and Assistant.
1. Use a Third Party Garage Door Openers / Controllers with Google Home Compatibility
If you are not a fan of Chamberlain garage opening products, you don’t have to limit yourself. There are other alternatives you can look into that are just as effective and efficient. EKyro and Aubric both have excellent garage door openers and controllers that will serve you just as well. Keep reading to find out more about their products.
The garage door opener from eKyro can make your garage smarter by connecting to existing openers.
The eKyro garage door opener is compatible with Alexa, Google Home, iPhone, Siri, Android, and smart watches.
The opener is compatible with most garage doors. If it’s not compatible with yours, you can order the special adapter.
The eKyro Smart Garage Door Opener will make your garage door smarter. It is compatible with most garage doors and will likely work with yours. If not, there is an adapter!
Control your garage door from anywhere wirelessly. Use Google Home, Amazon Alexa, smart watches, iPhone, or Android to keep track of your garage.
With this garage door opener from Aubric, you can close, open, and check the door status remotely via your smartphone.
Connect your device to Amazon Alexa or Google Home and enjoy hands-free control over your garage door.
Share access to the door with your friends and family members. Get real-time alerts about the status of the door.
This smart garage door opener from Aubric allows you to open, close, and check the status of your garage door from any place in the world at any time, using your smartphone. There is no need to ever go down and check the door!
Connect it to your Alexa or Google Home and enjoy hands-free control. Set up multiple users for all your family members and get real-time alerts about the status of the door.
2. Use IFTTT
IFTTT stands for If This Then That. The app is relatively straightforward and easy to use. All you have to do is go into your account and create a new recipe. By tapping the “+” you choose the IF command. Then you tap the next “+” to set the THEN command.
IFTTT works not only with Google Assistant, but with a variety of other SmartHome apps. You can use IFTTT to connect your myQ app to your Amazon Alexa or create any number of simple and complex commands.
Download IFTTT to make your life easier and your SmartHome even smarter.
How to configure IFTTT with myQ
Connecting Google Assistant to myQ is very easy to do via IFTTT. This process is an alternative to the myQ paid subscription. Here is how you can do that!
- In your IFTTT app, click “Explore” and “Create” to create a new applet.
- Click on “+” to create the IF trigger.
- Find Google Assistant and select “Say a simple phrase.”
- Enter your command, such as “Close garage,” and create the trigger.
- Click “+” again to create the THEN command.
- Find myQ and choose “Close door” or any other action you need.
- Give your applet a name and you’re done!
About Chamberlain myQ
Chamberlain myQ is an app that is meant to connect you to your garage door from anywhere, anytime. The app is available on Google and Apple platforms and is very easy to download.
You can open and close your garage door with the touch of a button. Receive real-time notifications to see if your garage door has been opened or closed. Schedule to open your garage door for when you arrive at home and close it for when you leave. Expecting visitors? Share limited time access to the garage door with them.
You can integrate myQ with your Google Assistant and make controlling your garage door even easier although as discussed, the features are limited.
About Google Assistant and Google Home
Google Assistant is virtual assistant AI technology engineered by Google. The technology is meant to make your life easier in many ways. You can speak to Google Assistant and ask it to complete tasks such as opening Spotify, ordering Postmates, browsing through Etsy, or making a Snapchat photo.
Google Home is an ecosystem for home automation with Google Assistant at its heart. With a connected smart speaker, you can play music and set timers, it can also do things for you. Speak to your speaker in simple commands and enjoy the freedom of not having to click or switch anything!
Chamberlain myQ is not directly compatible with Google Home, but it works well with Google Assistant. You can connect the two directly or through the IFTTT app.
If Chamberlain is not your favorite brand, you can choose among other alternatives, some of which were mentioned in this article. Get the most out of your smart garage!