Alexa is an integral part of our homes and lives thanks to “her” many skills. These include setting alarms, providing traffic reports, controlling smart devices, and more! But, users often face issues when wondering how to change Alexa's name, wake word or voice. If you're looking to do the same, read on!
How to Change Alexa's Name/Wake Word?
Alexa has the uncanny habit of jolting to life anytime it hears the words “Amazon” or “Alexa,” regardless of whether you said them or not. Which is why one of the most popularly asked questions we get is, “Can Alexa's wake word be changed?”
The answer is yes. It matters not at all if you have Echo Show, Echo Dot, etc.; changing the wake word is a matter of a few simple steps.
Using the App
When it comes to changing the wake word for Alexa, you have two options: via the app or voice command. Both options are non-problematic and can be utilized within seconds. Here's how you go about changing the wake word through the Alexa app.
- Open the Alexa app on the device of your choice.
- Tap on the three parallel lines on the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
- Tap on “Settings”.
- Next, tap on Device Settings.”
- Select the Amazon device you want to alter the wake word for.
- Move down and touch on the “Wake Word” option.
- Choose the wake word you like best from the following choices:
- Wait a few seconds and test out your device with the new wake word.
Using the Speaker
You can choose to change your Alexa wake word via voice command too. Here’s how.
- Say the words, “Alexa, change the wake word.”
- Wait for Alexa to present you with the available wake words to choose from. These include:
- State the wake word of your choice out loud.
- Wait for Alexa’s confirmation.
- Test out the device with the new wake word.
How to Change Alexa's Voice/Accent?
While you can choose to change Alexa’s voice with a celebrity’s from the skill and games section, you can also change her accent for some variety.
- Open and log in to the Alexa app on your smart device.
- Tap on the menu icon (three horizontal lines on the top left corner of the screen).
- Tap on “Settings.”
- Tap on “Device Settings.”
- Opt for the device you want to alter the accent for.
- Next, open “Language.”
- Pick the accent from the drop-down box. You can opt for a English accent option from the following choices:
1. English (French)
2. English (United States)
3. English (Canadian)
4. English (Indian)
5. English (United Kingdom)
6. English (Australian)
- Click “OK” on the “Change Alexa’s Language” prompt.
- Test out the device.
How to Change Alexa's Language
If you’re not an English speaker and prefer to speak to Alexa in your native tongue, you can follow the steps listed below to change Alexa’s language.
- Log in to the Alexa app on your smart device.
- Tap on the menu icon.
- Next, tap on “Settings.”
- Select the “Device Settings” option.
- Tap on the device of your choice.
- Move down and choose the “Language” option.
- Select your language of choice for Alexa. As of 2020, Alexa offers the following language options:
- Click “OK” on the “Change Alexa Language” prompt.
- Wait a few seconds and test out the change.
Can You Change Alexa's Voice To Samuel L. Jackson’s?
Do you fancy talking to Samuel L. Jackson on a daily basis? If yes, try changing Alexa’s voice to Sam’s via voice command.
- Say the words, “Alexa, introduce me to Samuel L. Jackson.”
- Confirm the skill purchase with Alexa.
- Choose between explicit or clean content.
- To make use of the skill, say the words “Alexa, ask Samuel for the weather.” You can use the same words for various topics, such as music, stories, jokes, etc. Click on this link for a complete list of prompts.
- To bypass Alexa’s voice, set up the wake word as “Hey Samuel” and use the device as usual.
Can You Change Alexa's Voice To Jarvis?
If you're a big fan of the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) and trying to change Alexa's voice to Jarvis, we have some bad news. Unfortunately, at this point in time, Alexa doesn't support Jarvis's voice.
However, before you get too disheartened, Marvel fans can enjoy listening to Baby Groot, which is just as exciting. All you need to do is purchase the skill following the steps mentioned in the “Can You Change Alexa's Voice To Samuel L. Jackson’s?” section and take it from there.
Other popular voice options include Gordon Ramsey, Morgan Freeman, Pickachu, Deadpool, and many others.
Change Alexa’s Name To “Computer”
If you’re looking to bring some Sci-Fi to your life, you can program your Echo device to answer to “Computer,” instead of “Alexa.”
- Grab a smart device with the Alexa app and tap on the app icon to open it.
- Opt for the menu icon on the top of the left-side of the screen.
- Tap on “Settings.”.
- Tap on “Device Settings.”
- Choose the device you want to modify/change the name for.
- Find and tap on “Wake Word.”
- Select “Computer” from the list of available wake word choices..
- Tap “OK” to settle the change.
- Wait a few seconds and try out the new wake word.
Can You Rename Alexa With a Custom Wake Word?
AI enthusiasts have been waiting a long time to give their Alexa voice assistant a custom name that evokes humor. Popular name choices include Hal, R2D2, Jarvis, etc. Unfortunately, users can only choose to name their device from the four available wake words.
How To Change Your Echo Device's Name in the Alexa App
If you’re having trouble differentiating your Echo device from all the others available in your home, try personalizing the device name to get rid of the confusion.
- Log in to the Alexa app via your smartphone, iPad, or tablet.
- Tap on the “Burger” icon placed on the upper left corner of the screen.
- Tap on “Settings.”
- Next, choose the “Device Settings” selection.
- Tap on the device you’ve selected for the name change.
- Tap on “Edit Name.”
- Type in the name of your choice.
- Confirm the change.
How To change the Name Alexa Calls You
If you want to find out whether you can meddle around with the name Alexa calls you, the answer’s yes. Here’s how.
- Sign in to the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap on the “Communicate” icon on the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the “Person” icon on the top right-side corner of the screen.
- Select the name that appears on top of the “My Communications Setting” option.
- Tap on “Edit” at the right corner of the screen right at the top.
- Type in your name (first and last) in the appropriate boxes.
- Tap on the “Save” option.
Users wanting to change Alexa's voice from female to male will be disappointed to learn that's not an option as of now. The closest users can come to a male voice on the Alexa device is purchasing a skill with a male celebrity voice.
If you're tired of saying “Alexa” before every command, you can utilize the follow-up mode to stop using the trigger word over and over. Another added advantage of switching to the follow-up mode is that it’ll make your life easier when you’ve got a bunch of tasks to complete via voice command, and best of all, the follow-up mode is super easy to activate. Here’s how.
You can activate the follow-up mode on your Alexa app by tapping on “Settings,” and then “Device Settings.” Next, choose your device and select the follow-up mode option. Tap on the slider to activate the mode, and you're done.
So there you have it! If you were wondering “how to change Alexa's name” you now know. Changing Alexa’s accent, language, or even enabling a celebrity voice is surprisingly easy if you know what you’re doing. Leave a comment if you have other tips and tricks which might be useful to readers!