If you've lost your LG TV remote and need to connect to a Wi-Fi network, you’ll be happy to learn that a USB mouse, USB keyboard, or wireless universal remote can all help you get connected.
In this article, we will take you through all the possible methods you can use to connect your Smart LG TV to a Wi-Fi network without a remote.
How to Connect an LG TV to a Wi-Fi Network without a Remote
Navigating a smart TV can certainly be difficult without a remote. The absence of it can make it even more difficult to connect the TV to a Wi-Fi network when an internet connection is essential to be able to access anything on a smart TV.
Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to overcome the issue, including using the TV’s USB ports. You can use these ports to plug in various input devices. As a result, you can still connect your smart TV to the Wi-Fi using an external, USB-compatible input device.
USB Mouse / Keyboard
You can connect your LG TV to a Wi-Fi network by using a USB mouse or keyboard – making it easier for you to navigate the TV.
A universal remote works similar to a regular remote but without the extra features. It should be able to connect through Bluetooth and allow you to perform basic tasks like setting up a Wi-Fi connection.
How to Connect an LG TV to a Wi-Fi Network Using a USB Device
To connect your smart TV to a Wi-Fi network without a remote, your best choice is to use a wired or wireless USB mouse or keyboard. By plugging it into the TV’s USB port, you are automatically good to go. Once that’s done, you need to:
- Locate and press the power button to switch on the TV.
- Now, select the Input Selection menu via the multi-functional main power button. Then, use the mouse to click Live TV from the list of options.
- After that, drag the cursor to the extreme right corner of the screen. This will result in the appearance of a sidebar with two options – Channels and Recommended. Select Recommended.
- As a result, a Network Disconnected error pop-up window will appear because your smart TV is still offline.
- Click on Yes on the pop-up window and it will take you to your TV's Network Settings menu.
- Now, select your Wi-Fi network, enter the password through the on-screen keyboard using your mouse and click Enter. This will now successfully connect your TV to a Wi-Fi network.
How to Connect an LG TV to a Wi-Fi Network Using an Ethernet Cable
You can also link your TV to the internet via a wired connection. This will work as long as your TV has an Ethernet cable port. It’s a great option for those who don’t have a remote but need to establish a fast and reliable internet connection. This is how you can connect your LG TV to the internet using an Ethernet cable:
- Connect the cable into the Ethernet cable port on your LG TV.
- Connect the other end of the cable into the Ethernet cable port on your main internet router.
- Check that the connection is working by looking at the Ethernet LED light on the Wi-Fi router which should be blinking green.
- With your TV now online, you can actually operate it using LG’s TV Plus app. Simply download the app, find your TV, and connect it to your phone to use it as a replacement for the remote.
Common Questions Relating to How to Connect an LG TV to a Wi-Fi Network without a Remote
Yes! You can do it by downloading the LG TV Plus app and syncing your phone to the TV to use it as an alternative remote.
Yes – universal remotes are compatible with many LG smart TV models. These generally connect using Bluetooth and offer a simplified way to operate your smart TV.
Your LG TV will provide you with an on-screen keyboard for typing. You can access this either using a USB mouse or a universal remote.
Yes! Go on to the Wi-Fi settings and choose the Connect via WPS PIN option.
Yes! Just make sure the mouse you want to use is USB-compatible and insert a dongle into the USB port to generate a working connection.
Losing your smart TV remote is never ideal. However, there are ways to overcome the issue particularly if you need to set up a Wi-Fi connection.
You can configure a Wi-Fi connection on your LG TV using various USB-compatible input devices like a keyboard and mouse. If not, you can always opt for a wired connection and sync your phone with the TV to use as a makeshift remote.
Whichever method you choose, you will still be able to get the most out of your LG TV. All you need to do is learn how to connect your LG TV to a Wi-Fi network without a remote and all your issues will be solved.