So, you need to connect your Vizio TV to your Wi-Fi network without using the TV’s proprietary remote? The process can be a bit tricky, but it’s worth it considering the TV needs a stable Wi-Fi connection to allow you access to its smart features.
There are three approaches to achieve the connection. These include using an ethernet cable, a smartphone, or a universal remote.
Let's get started!
How to Control Your Vizio TV
The three methods mentioned above will require a handful of extra items that you will need to acquire beforehand.
A USB keyboard is very useful when it comes to navigating the menus. Make sure you either have a wired USB keyboard or a wireless keyboard with a Bluetooth receiver.
You also have the option to connect your smart TV to a Wi-Fi network via an ethernet port. However, check if the Vizio TV in your home has an ethernet port.
A universal remote is an absolute necessity as it can easily substitute any remote and help you navigate the TV with ease.
Vizio SmartCast App
This app allows you to control any Vizio TV in your home via an Android or Apple smartphone.
Third-Party Remote Apps
If the SmartCast app is not working for some reason, you can always use a third-party remote app that can stand in as an alternative.
Connecting Your Vizio TV to a Wi-Fi Network Using Your Phone
One of the best long-term solutions for setting up an alternative remote for any Vizio TV is to use the Vizio SmartCast app on your smartphone.
Although using your smartphone may not be as convenient as using a remote, it still provides the same functionality (if not more) that you wouldn’t get with the help of any universal remote or a USB keyboard.
Therefore, in this guide, we will show you how to connect any Vizio TV to a Wi-Fi network via your smartphone.
- First, download the Vizio app.
- If you want to use smart apps such as Netflix, Hulu, and iHeartRadio, you should download them and set them up before proceeding.
- Open the Vizio SmartCast app and look for the Control icon at the bottom of the screen (the icon that looks like a TV with a subwoofer in front).
- After that, head over to Menu > Devices at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select your TV from the list of available devices.
- Once it is connected, the control menu of the TV will appear.
- Swipe left to open up the movement screen and use the directional controls on the app to navigate the TV.
- From these controls, navigate to the connectivity options to set up the Wi-Fi network.
Using an Ethernet Cable to Link Your Vizio TV to the Web
Another alternative to connecting to a Wi-Fi network is by using an ethernet port. An ethernet connection is faster and will produce less lagging. Therefore, it is more reliable. However, you will still need to have a physical wired connection between the TV and the Wi-Fi router.
On top of that, the TV needs to have an ethernet port. Unfortunately, some models do not have these ports. So, make sure you check the ports before committing to ethernet cables.
- First, find the ethernet port. This is normally located at the back panel of the TV.
- After that (if the port exists), connect the ethernet cable into the port on the TV.
- Then, do the same for your router and make sure that the LAN connection is secure. The wires should not be too exposed where it could make people trip, have them stepped on, or get bent/twisted too much.
- Check if there is any Menu button (a physical tactile button) located on the back panel of the TV. If so, press that button to open up the menu. You may also use one universal remote if you happen to have one.
- Next, select the option called Home Network.
- After that, select the connection type for the network as Wired Network.
- The Vizio TV will be linked to the internet. You can now check for the Wi-Fi strength and the internet connectivity by using an app on your TV.
Universal Remote Devices
The third and final option is to connect your Vizio TV to a Wi-Fi network with the help of a universal remote device. Using a universal remote is bound to work since all TVs – smart or not smart – can recognize the signals given out by these devices.
However, these third-party remotes won’t have all the functionality of a proper Vizio remote. You may only use it to carry out basic actions such as setting up the internet connection.
In the following guide, we will show you how to connect any Vizio TV to a Wi-Fi network using a universal remote.
- First, turn on the TV.
- After that, use the navigation controls on the universal remote to open the Menu tab.
- Go on to Network settings.
- Use the option to scan for available networks for your TV and select the Wi-Fi network that you want to connect to your TV.
- After that, provide the password for your home’s Wi-Fi network.
- Your TV will now connect to the web. You can check the connection by opening an app.
Common Questions Relating to Vizio TV
Can I still use my Vizio TV even after the remote has been damaged or lost?
Yes, it can still be used without the remote. There are multiple methods you can use such as the Vizio SmartCast app, a universal remote, and a wired ethernet cable.
Can I use my Vizio TV without connecting it to a Wi-Fi network?
Yes, fortunately, you can watch content on your Vizio TV without having an internet connection. However, you will only be limited to the basic functionality that a standard TV can provide.
You can still connect external media devices such as set-top boxes, gaming consoles, and portable streaming sticks without connecting the Vizio TV to the internet.
What are the things that I can do with a smart TV?
After connecting your Vizio TV to the internet, you will be allowed access to many smart features such as video-streaming platforms, music libraries, and viewing security cameras.
To experience any smart TV’s full capabilities, an internet connection is essential. On top of that, it is somewhat difficult to use a Vizio TV with all its smart functions without its accompanying remote.
However, you can still find ways to connect your Vizio TV to the internet. Users can connect their Vizio TVs to a Wi-Fi network using hardwired options like ethernet cables. You can also use other wireless methods such as using a universal remote, the Vizio SmartCast app, and a USB keyboard.