Honeywell Thermostats are great for controlling your heating and air conditioning system while managing your energy consumption. However every now and then, it may be necessary to reset the device, such as if the power fails, the Wi-Fi network changes or programmable schedule becomes unwieldy.
Below we break out step by step guides on the most popular Honeywell models. Once reset, make sure to program it the way you like, as the factory default settings may not be suitable for your home.
- Thermostat Repair & Replacement
- Emergency / Out of Hours Repairs
- General HVAC Services
- Air Conditioning & Vents
- Furnace & Central Heating Systems
- Boilers & Electric Heating Systems
Where the instructions require you to remove the thermostat from it’s base plate, potentially exposing live wiring, we recommend you isolate them beforehand via the circuit breaker box.
At SmartHomePerfected we always advise readers not to undertake any work they are not competent in performing and if in any doubt, it is best to seek the assistance of a professional.
How to find the Model Number
Before attempting a Honeywell Thermostat reset, you need to know the model you have.
Generally speaking, the model of your thermostat is either referenced on the front of the device, is accessible through the digital interface or is printed on a label at the back.
In the guide below, we have included images of Honeywell Thermostats within each range to make it easy to identify the correct one.
Make sure to take note of the various settings on the device before resetting, as you may need to reconfigure them.
Below are steps to perform, if you need to remove the thermostat from the base plate to access the model number.
If the model is not covered by this guide, we have collated a list of the top user manuals for Honeywell thermostats which you can view here.
- If your home thermostat is mains powered, isolate the circuit via the circuit breaker to avoid exposure to live wiring. (Once the power is off, the thermostat may still be on as some models have a battery backup. Some models have a battery door which you can slide up to remove the batteries. For others, the batteries are installed in the back of the faceplate)
- Carefully slide / pull the thermostat off the base plate, making sure not to damage the pins or clips. In some models, this is accomplished by pulling from the bottom of the device.
- Take note of the model at the back and find the corresponding instructions below.
- Reposition the thermostat back on to the base plate
Honeywell T5+ / T5 / T6 Models
The Honeywell T5+ is very easy to install. You can adjust it to your requirements, or it can automatically adapt to the optimal temperature.
This model can be connected to your smartphone via Wi-Fi, and it can also be controlled using Voice Commands or the Apple Home-Kit.
Model T5 is smaller than the T6. There is a cover plate on the T6 model too and a screen that lights up when touched.
How to reset your Honeywell Thermostat (T5+ / T5 / T6) to the settings it was programmed with when you first bought it
- Make sure your device is on
- Press and hold the Menu button for 5 seconds
- Scroll to left until you see “Reset” (Click Select)
- Click SELECT on Factory
- You will see a prompt “Are you sure?”
- Choose “YES”
- Congratulations, your device is successfully reset
Steps to reset Wi-Fi settings on a Honeywell T5+ / T5 / T6 Thermostat
- Grab your Smartphone /Tablet
- Choose Settings and ignore all the Wi-Fi connections that were connected to your Smartphone/Tablet. It’s advised to turn off your mobile data and use the Airplane Mode
- Launch the Honeywell Home App and select your device
- Select the COG Wheel to access your thermostat’s settings
- Hit Reset Wi-Fi and your mobile app will guide you through the reconnection process
- On Thermostat, Press and Hold the temperature display
- After the Thermostat is broadcasting using its own unique Wi-Fi network, press Next on the app
- Press Next to continue
- Select the Lyric Network names and connect (The app will notify you that your thermostat is configured), press Next to continue
- To complete the repairing, enter the 4 digit pin displayed in Thermostat into your mobile device and press “Done”
- Choose your home network and enter your password, touch “Next” to connect.
- Once the Wi-Fi reset process is completed, please allow about 3 minutes for the thermostat and mobile app to sync.
- Once completed, your thermostat now should show the availability in your mobile app, and you’re all set.
Below are steps to revert the schedule via a Honeywell thermostat reset for the T5+ / T5 / T6 models. (Before starting, make sure you really want to change the device’s schedule back to the factory default settings)
- Press and hold the Menu icon
- When Reset appears, select and press it
- When the Schedule appears, select and press it
- Congratulations! Your schedule has been reset
How to complete a HomeKit reset on Honeywell Thermostats T5 +, T6, T5
- Press and hold the Menu icon
- Select Reset (Press the symbol)
- Select Home Kit Reset (Press the symbol)
- Congratulations! Your device has been reset
Honeywell Smart & Lyric Round Models
Smart & Lyric Round Models from Honeywell have a robust control system with several buttons and control wheels. They’re able to provide optimal energy savings and comfort by controlling your central heater and air conditioner. You can use your smartphone to program them from anywhere. Moreover, you can also manage schedules dynamically, and adjust the temperature when you decide to leave the house.
These home thermostats can measure humidity and adjust it automatically for any comfort level.
How to Reset your Thermostat (Smart & Lyric Round Models)
- Press and Hold the Weather Button for 5-10 seconds
- Wait until the menu button appears
- Scroll down and choose Factory Reset
- Select “OK”
- Select “YES”
- Congratulations! You’re Done
In this guide, you’ll learn how to Reset Wi-Fi on Honeywell Smart & Lyric Round Models. Use this to reset your device back to its original settings.
- Press and hold the “Cloud” Icon
- Scroll down until you see Wi-Fi option, and then select it
- Scroll down until you reach the Setup option, and then select it
- Congratulations! You have now completed your reset
This is the step by step guide on how to do a Homekit Reset on Honeywell Smart & Lyric Round Models. Use this guide to reset your device back to its original settings
- Choose the “Cloud” Icon (Press and Hold)
- Scroll down until you see HomeKit Reset option
- Select it
- Your process is done. Congratulations!
Honeywell 9000 Wi-Fi Models
These are Wi-Fi thermostats with several smart features including voice control and compatibility with Google Assistant.
The Honeywell 9000 Wi-Fi Models can provide alerts and notifications automatically if something happens around your home, not to mention they’re already integrated with other standard smart home devices available on the market.
Also, the Thermostat 9000 Wi-Fi has an application that allows you to control multiple other home thermostats. You can change each program according to the climate zone.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to revert to factory settings by resetting your 9000 Wi-Fi Series Honeywell Thermostat Models. Based on the user manual, use this guide to reset your device back to its original settings.
- Select Menu Button
- Scroll down and choose Preferences
- Scroll down again
- Choose “Restore Factory Setting”
- Press “YES” and you’re done! Congratulations!
In this guide, you’ll learn how to Wi-Fi Reset your Honeywell 9000 Wi-Fi Models. Use this guide to reset your device back to its original settings.
- Choose “Menu”
- Choose “WI-FI Setup”
- Follow the instructions
- Your reset is now complete! Congratulations!
In this guide, you’ll learn how to Schedule Reset your Honeywell 9000 Wi-Fi Models. Based on the user manual, use this guide to reset your device back to its original settings.
- Press and hold the “Menu” icon
- Choose “Preferences” (Press and Hold)
- Choose “Restore Default Schedule” (Press and Hold)
- The device is now reset. Congratulations!
Honeywell 6000 Wi-Fi Models
The Honeywell 6000 series home thermostat can be used with Wi-Fi. You need to set up an account by registering on the Honeywell website with your email. This feature in the thermostat allows you to navigate and be able to control the temperature remotely.
If you are still confused about your HVAC system, you can see more info about it on the support page. Honeywell also provides Live Chat on their pages.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to reset your Honeywell Thermostat (6000 Wi-Fi Models). Based on the user manual, use this guide to reset your device back to its original settings.
- Turn on your device
- Choose “Fan” buttons (Press and Hold)
- Choose the “Up” arrow button (Press and Hold)
- Wait For 5 to 10 seconds
- Choose the 4th button from the left until it changes to “90”
- Press “Up” until you turn the digit into “1”
- Press “Done”
- Congratulations. It is now reset.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to Wi-Fi Reset your Honeywell 6000 Wi-Fi Models.
- Press and hold the “Fan” and “UP” arrow on your Thermostat
- Press the next buttons until it shows “39” on the left side of your screen
- Press the “Down” arrow to change “1” into “0”
- Press the “Done” Button
- Wi-Fi is set up now
- On Mobile Device Go To “Device Settings”. Open the list of Wi-Fi networks that are available
- Choose the Wi-Fi names of Thermostat and Number and press “Connect”
- Return to Home Screen and open the Honeywell Thermostat Wi-Fi page (input the IP Address)
- Select your home Wi-Fi Networks and press “Connect”
- Once the “Connection Success” message appears, it’s all set! Enjoy your Wi-Fi Thermostat!
In this guide, you’ll learn how to Schedule Reset your Honeywell 6000 Wi-Fi Models. Use this guide to reset your device back to its original settings.
- Press and Hold “UP” arrow and “Fan” Buttons
- After that, change number on the left to “85”
- Change number on the right to “1”
- Congratulations! The rest is now completed!
Honeywell 8320 & 8580 Wi-Fi Models
These thermostat models come with a 10-inch LCD screen and require 4 AA batteries to operate properly.
You are also able to remotely control your heating and cooling (HVAC) system anywhere and anytime through the use of smartphones, tablets, and computers.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to Factory Reset your Honeywell 8320 & 8580 Wi-Fi Models. Based on the user manual, use this guide to reset your device back to its original settings.
- Make sure your Thermostat is “On”
- Choose “System”
- Press and hold the center black buttons
- Wait for 5 seconds
- Choose “Reset Factory Settings”
- You now have completed your reset
In this guide, you’ll learn how to Wi-Fi Reset your Honeywell 8320 & 8580 Wi-Fi Models.
- Disconnect the faceplate on the router (Just Pop it off)
- Unplug wireless router (Turn the power off just for a second)
- Plug the power back in and reconnect the faceplate
- Choose the “System” button
- Select and hold the middle buttons until you get a new screen
- On the left, change the number into “0900”
- On the right side, change the number into “0” and Press “Done”
- Go to your computer and choose Thermostat Wi-Fi
- After the connection is complete, you can go back and choose your home network
In this guide, you’ll learn how to Schedule Reset your Honeywell 8320 & 8580 Wi-Fi Models. Use this to clear your device’s schedule.
- Choose “System”
- Press and Hold the blank box in the center
- On the left, change the number to “0165”
- On the right, change the number to “1”
- Press “Done”
- Your Schedule is now reset
Honeywell 8321 Wi-Fi Models
If you want convenience, comfort, and fast connectivity, the Honeywell 8321 Wi-Fi Models are the right pick for you. They allow you to control settings remotely, not to mention they’re very good for saving energy.
These models come equipped with various features such as security controls using a Smartphone/Tablet and programs for annual energy savings.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to reset your Honeywell Thermostat (8321 Wi-Fi Models).Based on the user manual, use this to reset your device back to its original settings.
- Press “Menu”
- Choose “Dealer Information”
- Scroll down to the bottom and write down the date code
- Choose “Done”
- Scroll down into “Installer Options”
- Enter the date code
- Select Reset to Default
- Press “Yes”
In this guide, you’ll learn how to Factory Reset your Honeywell 8321 Wi-Fi Models. Use this guide to make your device “forget” its current Wi-Fi network.
- Choose “Menu” (Press it)
- Press “Down” arrow until you see Wi-Fi Setup
- Select Wi-Fi Setup
- You’ve reset your device successfully!
In this guide, you’ll learn how to Schedule Reset your Honeywell 8321 Wi-Fi Models. Use this guide to clear your device’s schedule.
- Press “Menu”
- Press “Down” arrow buttons until you see “Preferences”
- Select “Preferences”
- Press “Down” arrow buttons until you see “Default Schedule”
- Select “Default Schedule”
- Congratulations, you have now completed Schedule Resets!
Honeywell T6 Z-Wave Models
The T6 Pro Z-Wave thermostat is an energy-saving device. It has a large and sleek screen display with a touch screen. This type of thermostat provides a high level of comfort for you in your smart home. It requires 3 AA batteries to work.
The Z-Wave Plus thermostat model doesn’t require a C cable for power, but in the HomeKit version, it is quite different, as it requires a C cable connection for Wi-Fi.
In this guide, you will learn how to make reset your device through a Z-Wave Exclusion to successfully connect to Samsung SmartThings
- Choose “Menu” on the Thermostat
- Touch the arrow (right or left) until you see “Resets” and Choose “Select”
- Touch the arrow (right or left) until you see “Schedule” and choose “Select”
- Press “Yes” to confirm
After reading this article, you now know how to perform factory, Wi-Fi, Schedule and Homekit resets for the following Honeywell Thermostat models:
- T5+ / T5 / T6
- Smart & Lyric Round
- 9000 Wi-Fi Models
- 6000 Wi-Fi Models
- Honeywell 8320 & 8580 Wi-Fi Models
- Honeywell 8321 Wi-Fi Models
- Honeywell T6 Z-Wave Models
If you are experiencing a blank screen, it is sometimes recommended to remove the batteries and leave it for up to an hour before re-installing. We have a full guide here on how to change the batteries on a Honeywell thermostat.
If you need guidance on resetting a model not detailed above, drop us a comment below and we would be happy to update our guide to include it!