While Samsung has some of the top-selling refrigerators worldwide, from time to time, they may have some issues. If you are asking yourself “How to reset my Samsung refrigerator?” then this guide is for you.
How to know your Samsung refrigerator needs a reset?
Samsung refrigerators typically inform users when a reset is required by displaying error codes on the screen.
If the fridge detects that ice production has stopped, this might be caused by a sensor error (8E), freezer error (14E), or a fan error (40E, 40C). If the fridge goes into Shop/Demo Mode, it will display OF OF, O FF, OFF OFF, or scrolling temperature bars.
Furthermore, refrigerators might fail to deliver the correct temperature or can even project a corrupted temperature display.
If you are determined to reset your Samsung refrigerator, make sure you know what you’re doing. Unplug the fridge from the AC socket before doing anything to it. Also, fridges contain noxious gases within the compressor so never interfere with that.
At SmartHomePerfected we always advise readers not to undertake any work they are not competent in performing and if in any doubt, it is best to seek the assistance of a professional.
Common Error Codes
|5E||This error alert indicates the refrigerator's Fridge Defrost Sensor is not functioning properly.|
|8E||This flashes if refrigerators encounter an error with the Ice Maker (Freezer) Sensors.|
|14E||Similar to 8E, this error message also signifies a problem with the sensor that detects Ice Production.|
|22E, 22C||This message signifies the Fridge Fan's error. It might happen if users keep their refrigerator’s door open for too long.|
|33E||This error message flashes when the refrigerator encounters a problem with the Ice Pipe Heater.|
|39C & 39E||When the ice maker stops working properly, users are most likely to encounter this error message. It signifies an error in the refrigerator’s Ice Production.|
|40C & 40E||Expect this error message if there is a problem with the Ice Room’s Fan.|
|41 or 42 and interior blue lights flashing||In case users find their refrigerators emitting too much blue light, which might get unbearable at times, they need to reboot the Family Hub.|
|41C||Samsung launches new software patches and system upgrades for its refrigerators regularly. If users fail to stay up to date with the latest software updates, they get the 41C error.|
|76C or blinking Autofill indicator||This error appears when water starts to spill into the autofill compartment. To check water spillage, look at the lower part of the fridge.|
|84C||If users detect the temperature inside their fridge is increasing, this might happen because the compressor has stopped. When this is the case, the 84C error message will appear.|
|85C||This error message flashes if the fridge detects a low voltage from its power source.|
|88 88, 83E, 85E, or 86E||This error message appears when there is an error with the circuit breaker. Unplugging the refrigerator and reconnecting it back again resolves this error.|
|All icons are flashing after being plugged in or a power outage||This message appears when the fridge runs a self-diagnostic. This is not an error alert. It helps the refrigerator identify possible errors in the system.|
|Ice Off blinking||This alert flashes when the users misplace the ice bucket. To avoid getting this error, after cleaning the ice bucket, you should carefully place the bucket back in its original place.|
|OF OF or OF F||The Cooling-Off Mode is used by retailers. They enable this mode when the fridge is still in their showroom.|
|PC ER||This error message flashes when there’s a problem with the circuit. Resetting the wire harness resolves this error.|
How to power reset your Samsung Refrigerator
From time to time, users might find their refrigerators have started acting up. This may happen after a sequence of abrupt power surges, after a power outage or after heavy storms.
A Samsung fridge might suddenly start displaying the wrong temperature instead of the default factory temperature. If users have food stored inside, they should take it out.
If every other solution fails, a power reset can restore the refrigerator to all its default settings.
- Turn the refrigerator off using the “Power Button”.
- Look at the back of the refrigerator, locate the power cord, and unplug it.
- Keep the refrigerator turned off for a few hours.
- Plug the refrigerator back in.
- Use the Power Button to turn it back on.
- The refrigerator should work fine now.
How to reset your Samsung Refrigerator from shop/demo mode
The Shop/Demo mode serves a special purpose. When a Samsung refrigerator is in the shop, before it’s purchased, the retailers enable this mode to ensure less energy is consumed.
Having this mode turned on keeps all parts of the fridge working, except for the cooling system. Once enabling this mode, the fridge will have its interior lightings and display panel working, allowing retailers to show potential buyers how it works.
However, after a buyer makes a purchase, the Shop/Demo mode must be turned off. If it stays turned on, all the food in the fridge will go bad!
- Check if the “Cooling Off Mode” is flashing.
- If yes, find two buttons located on the left side of the refrigerator's display panel (as per the video).
- Press and hold these two buttons for 5-10 seconds.
- Make sure the two buttons are pressed at the same time. The refrigerator will make a different sound than when a single button is touched.
- After releasing the buttons, wait a few moments.
- If the display panel starts projecting the Cooling Off Mode message again, repeat the steps until it is disabled.
How to set or reset the temperature on a Samsung Refrigerator
By default, all Samsung refrigerators are set to 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below. This temperature is optimal to prevent the food inside from accumulating bacteria.
However, under special circumstances, users need to bring down the temperature in their fridge. For example, if they intend to keep dairy products, the optimal temperature is 34 degrees.
If you have never reset the temperature on a Samsung refrigerator before, don’t worry. All you have to do is tweak a few bars to set the fridge to the desired temperature.
- Locate the control panel.
- Press the Fridge button to set the desired temperature.
- Wait a few seconds, the cooling system will slowly adjust to the newly set temperature.
- Once it’s done, the display panel will show the new temperature.
- It might take some time before the fridge stabilizes to the new temperature.
- It is suggested to check the temperature again after a day.
How to reset the control panel after a power outage
All the latest Samsung fridges come with a control panel. Using the control panel, users can adjust the settings to their requirements, settings such as the temperature, lighting, energy-saving, power freezing, and ice-dispenser.
Moreover, the control system also displays key information about the fridge's health. This is why users might panic if the control panel stops displaying information or the buttons stop working.
If a user encounters an error with the refrigerator after a power outage, a Control Panel reset will solve the problem.
- Check if the Child Lock is enabled.
- If it is on, disable it. This will fix the control panel error.
- If it still doesn’t work, a Control Panel Display Reset will do the trick.
- Locate the reset switch. You will find it at the top corner of the right door.
- Use it to turn off the display.
- Wait for a few seconds and press it again to turn it back on.
- If successful, the Samsung logo will appear on the screen and the rest will be complete.
How to reset the Ice Maker
Along with storing food, Samsung refrigerators are also equipped to produce ice. In fact, with the latest models, users can increase the speed of ice production inside the refrigerator.
Whether you like your drink on ice or need ice for a special dish, you can’t afford to have the Ice Maker not working for too long.
If your Samsung fridge stops producing ice, or if you detect any drop in the production of ice, resetting the Ice Maker will fix the problem.
- For “Flex Tray”, open the fridge, lift the ice machine and pull.
- Find the test switch (under the Ice Maker).
- Press and hold it for 3 seconds. This will reset the ice maker.
- The ice maker might first dump any remaining ice before initiating a water refill.
- For “Heated Tray” Ice Makers, open the freezer, hold the ice bucket by its sides, squeeze and lift it.
- This should separate the ice bucket from the main ice producing unit.
- Locate the test switch. You will find it on the top-left, adjacent to the sensor arm joint.
- Press and hold the test switch for a few seconds.
- For models that came after 2010, a chime sound will be heard if the process is complete.
How to reset the wire harness between the door and control unit
If your refrigerator display is projecting a message that says it has identified a wire harness error, it means the door and the central control unit are failing to communicate with each other.
Usually, a “PC Er” message signifies this error. If this happens, a proper wire harness reset will fix the problem.
Unless users fix this error, the door might not close properly, and as a result, the food inside the fridge might go bad.
- Turn the fridge off.
- Locate the power cord and unplug it. You will find it at the back of the fridge.
- Find the wire harness.
- Separate the wire harness, wait for a while, and reconnect.
- Go ahead and start the fridge. The error code should disappear.
How to reset the water filter and filter light
Water filters ensure you don’t drink contaminated water from the fridge dispenser. They reduce impurities and make the water drinkable via a chemical, biological, or a physical barrier.
Luckily, many Samsung refrigerators come with built-in water filters. Water filters force the water through an activated carbon compartment inside the refrigerator and clean it.
If the refrigerator is used for drinking water, users can’t afford to have the water filter giving the wrong readings for long.
- Take out the old water filter and replace with a new one. This is typically located in the center of the fridge and has a twist cap.
- Resetting the filter indicator depends on the model you have. Try any of the three options below.
- Press and hold the Alarm button for 3-5 seconds.
- Press and hold the Ice Type/Water button for 3-5 seconds.
- Press and hold the Ice/Water button for 3-5 seconds.
- This should reset the water filter indicator.
Replacement Water Filters
The Samsung Electronics Refrigerator Water Filter is a genuine Samsung product suited for use with all the Samsung refrigerator models. This model is guaranteed to eliminate the impurities in water and give it a fresh taste. It features a high-grade carbon block that ensures clean and clear water. Moreover, it also saves refrigerators from getting damaged by sediment.
- 99% successful in removing harmful contaminants.
- Has a capacity of 300 gallons.
- Uses high-grade carbon.
The Pureline Water Filter Replacement for Samsung Refrigerators comes with an advanced carbon block that is made from coconut carbon. Moreover, it consists of micro-pores and ionization filtration. This product is capable of removing more than 26 contaminants from the water. Capable of bringing the water impurity to 0, this filter product is certified by the NSF, the WQA, and the IAPMO.
- Comes with triple-action filtration technology.
- 100% compatible with Samsung refrigerators and no leakage.
- Capable of removing 99% of all heavy metals from the water.
About Samsung Refrigerators
Samsung refrigerators come with many top-notch features. The French door feature in Samsung models RF18HFENBSG and RF220NFTASR ensures there’s a lot of space in your kitchen. They also have an ice-dispenser and twin-cooling feature that cools all the refrigerator’s compartments separately.
Touchscreen- and Wi-Fi-enabled, the Samsung RF28R7551SG and RF28R7551SR can display recipes on its screen. Users can add items to their shopping list and can later access those lists from their smartphones.
The CoolSelect Pantry and FlexZone features enable Samsung refrigerators’ users to store a lot of food at the optimal temperature, while the family hub technology lets them see pictures, watch videos, and play music on their refrigerator display screen.