If you've misplaced your Roku remote, knowing how to turn on a Roku TV without the remote can be a massive timesaver.
Learning how to turn on your Roku TV without a remote is easy as it can be done via the Roku app or the physical power button on the TV. You can also switch it on via your smart home assistant – if you have one – or your gaming console.
We have written this article to show you various ways to turn on your Roku TV without needing a remote control. Here, we'll walk you through how you can configure your favorite smart devices and gaming consoles to turn on your Roku TV.
Let's get started!
How to Turn Your Roku TV on without a Remote Control
There are several methods you can use to turn your Roku TV on without its proprietary remote. The first and most straightforward way involves using the power button that is already on the television.
However, this can be difficult for some users as a Roku TV usually has this button placed in hard-to-find locations. Depending on the brand, your TV’s button can be located on either of the TV’s sides or bottom side.
You can also turn your Roku TV on with Roku’s accompanying app. If you can pair your Roku TV to the app via Wi-Fi, you can turn the TV on via the app.
The third option involves using Amazon Alexa. Once Alexa is linked to your TV, you can turn your Roku TV on and control certain functions via voice commands.
The last method you can use to turn on your Roku TV comprises using a gaming console like the Nintendo Switch or the PS4. Once you connect these consoles to the Roku, activating them turns the TV on as well.
How to Turn Your Roku TV on Using the Roku App
You can turn your Roku TV on via the Roku app if both of them are connected to your Wi-Fi network.
All you have to do is download the app and you can control it remotely.
- Firstly, install the Roku app onto your smartphone.
- Make sure all devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Next, launch the Roku app.
- It will automatically scan your Wi-Fi network for Roku devices.
- Click on your Roku TV when the option pops up to redirect you to the home screen.
- On the bottom of the home screen, click on Remote.
- Finally, click on the power button to restart the TV.
How to Turn Your Roku TV on Using Game Consoles
You can also turn on your Roku TV using gaming consoles like the PS4, PS5, or the Nintendo Switch. All you have to do is link your TV to these devices, and when you activate them, your TV will turn on as well.
Now, let us show you how you can sync these devices.
- To connect your PS4 or PS5 to the Roku TV, first connect your TV to the console via an HDMI cord.
- Next, switch the console on and go to the home screen.
- Under the home screen, click on System Settings.
- Under this tab, check the box next to Enable HDMI Device Link.
- That’s all you need to do. Now, when you turn on your PS4, your Roku TV will automatically sync with it.
- To be able to turn on your Roku TV using a Nintendo Switch, first, connect your TV via the Switch’s dock.
- Next, turn on the TV and the Switch.
- On the Switch’s main menu, go to System Settings, then TV Settings.
- Under TV Settings, enable Match Power Status.
- Now, whenever you turn on your Switch, your Roku TV will automatically come on with it.
How to Turn Your Roku TV on Using Alexa
You can integrate your Roku TV with your Amazon Alexa voice assistant. With this, you can use voice control to activate and control your Roku TV and other Roku devices.
Some Alexa commands you can use with Roku devices include:
“Alexa, turn on Roku.”
“Alexa, turn up the volume on Roku.”
“Alexa, mute Roku.”
“Alexa, launch Hulu on Roku.”
“Alexa, start Netflix on Roku.”
However, you should note that the first three are exclusive to Roku TVs only. You can’t use these commands with Roku sticks and Roku Ultras.
The following steps will show you how you can set these devices up.
- Firstly, open Alexa on your smartphone.
- Open the menu by tapping the three bars at the top left corner of the screen.
- Under the menu, select Skills and Games.
- On the page that opens, search for Roku using the search button at the top right corner of the screen.
- On the list of results that appears, tap on Roku and click on Enable to use on the page that appears.
- A login page will appear. Sign in to the page with your Roku credentials.
- A screen will pop up showing you what you can do when you connect your device to Alexa. Click on Accept and continue.
- On the next screen, select the Roku device you want Alexa to help control. Click Continue on the Alexa app.
- Alexa will automatically scan for Roku devices and take you to a Roku screen to link your device.
- On the screen that appears, tap on Manage and link devices.
- On the next screen, click on Link another device.
- Next, select your Roku device and click Continue.
- On the next page, select the Alexa-based gadgets you want to operate your TV with.
- Click Link devices. Now, you should be able to turn on your Roku TV by giving a command to Alexa.
Common Questions Relating to Roku TV without a Remote Control
No, you do not need to be connected to the internet. Once you connect your Roku TV and your smartphone to the same Wi-Fi network, you can turn the TV on without an issue.
Yes, you can link your Roku TV to Google Assistant. Once your Roku is linked, you can turn it on using the “Hey Google” command.
You can try resetting the remote by removing the batteries and putting them back in. If that doesn’t work, you can try repairing the remote control with the TV. If none of these fixes work, you have to get a new remote for your TV.
Overall, it’s actually quite easy to turn on a Roku TV without having a physical remote.
Based on the alternatives we have mentioned above, you can turn on your Roku TV by:
- Using the power button on the TV itself
- Using the Roku app
- By linking your TV to a smart assistant or a gaming console
Therefore, the next time you get stranded with your Roku TV and an irresponsive remote, you will know how you can turn on your Roku TV without a remote and still enjoy all your favorite shows with ease.