If you’re like me and prefer to roll over in the morning to continue sleeping, then smart curtains might just be what you need! There’s nothing like blazing sunlight to kickstart your circadian rhythm and get you going for the day!
These smart motorized devices let you schedule your curtains to open and close and can be controlled remotely via a smartphone app or integrated with your home automation system.
Smart curtains can save on energy costs by automatically closing your curtains during hot summer days and offer security benefits, such as opening and closing your curtains when you're away from home to make it appear as though someone is still there.
There are plenty of types of motorized curtains, so in this article, I dive into some key things to consider when choosing them, along with what I believe are the best devices available today.
What are Smart Curtains?
Smart curtains are automated window coverings that can be opened, closed, and adjusted via remote control or integrated with home automation systems. They can help save energy by managing the amount of sunlight that enters your home while also improving your home security.
Top Things to Consider When Looking to Automate your Curtains
Types of Curtain Rods, Rails, and Tracks
Different smart curtain systems work with different hanging options so you’ll need to pick a system that works with your curtain type.
One of the most common hanging types is the single rod, which consists of a straight rod that is mounted to the wall using brackets. The curtains are hung from the rod using rings or hooks. Tension rods are a variation of this. Curtain tracks come in various types, including ceiling-mounted, wall-mounted, and recessed tracks.
I’ve outlined which product is compatible with which type below.
DIY or Installer
There are two ways to tackle your curtain motorization project! You can purchase a device that requires DIY installation or you can hire a professional installer.
There are variations on the DIY option. The SwitchBot motor is a 60-second installation as you simply place the motor on the curtain pole. Whereas the Quoya requires the installation of tracks on your ceiling which is much more labor-intensive.
If going down the installer route, it's vital to connect with a reliable dealer who can offer expert advice, quality products, and excellent customer service. Somfy Expert Dealers, for example, are highly trained professionals who can help you navigate the different options and find the perfect smart curtains tailored to your needs.
The way your smart motorized curtains open is another crucial consideration. Drapery opening options include center-opening, where the curtains part in the middle and stack to the sides, or side-opening, where the curtains stack to one side.
Customized opening options are also available in some brands, allowing you to tailor the opening style to your preferences and space requirements. Lutron offers the most flexibility in this regard.
One of the main advantages of smart motorized curtains is the flexibility and ease of control. Various control options are available, ranging from smartphone or tablet apps, voice control through Amazon Alexa or Google Home, remote controls, and wall-mounted controls.
Some popular products offering multiple control modes include the SwitchBot Curtain Rod 2.0, the Somfy Motorized Curtains, and the Homesupplier Smart Curtains.
Also, make sure you still have a way of opening and closing your curtains when the power or internet is out!
Installation and Setup
The installation process for smart motorized curtains can range from simple DIY installations to more complex systems, requiring professional assistance. It's essential to consider your level of skill and confidence in installing these systems, as well as any additional costs associated with professional installation.
For products that are easy to install, such as the SwitchBot, Aqara, or the Silky Rider Smart Power Curtains, you may save both time and money by opting for a DIY setup.
The power supply, motor durability, and curtain weight capacity are critical factors in evaluating the quality of a motorized curtain system.
Products like the Quoya and Lutron offer powerful, reliable motors with impressive weight capacities, ensuring that your smart curtains can operate smoothly and efficiently for years.
Devices that are AC-powered generally have more power than battery or solar-powered options. However, you then need a power outlet close by or need to engage an electrician to wire one in.
Additionally, consider the noise level of the motor, as quieter systems can greatly enhance the overall quality of your living environment.
Integrating Smart Curtains within your Daily Routine
Many smart curtain systems can be integrated with daily routines or linked with other smart home devices to optimize efficiency and convenience.
Systems like OlideSmart allow you to set schedules, adjust curtains based on weather, or even set up customized automation scenarios that involve other devices in your smart home ecosystem.
Maintenance and Support
Reliable customer support, proper maintenance, and a strong product warranty are essential aspects of the smart motorized curtain ownership experience.
Somfy stands out here with its 5-year warranty.
Look for brands that prioritize product support and offer resources like maintenance guides, troubleshooting assistance, and responsive customer service.
As with any investment, budget is an important aspect to take into account.
Smart motorized curtains come in various price ranges, and it's essential to strike a balance between finding a high-quality product and obtaining good value for money.
Products like the SwitchBot Curtain offer more affordable options for smart curtain technology while still providing some nice features and performance. Whereas the Somfy or Lutron options will be a lot more expensive.
The SwitchBot Curtain Rod 2.0 offers a simple and hassle-free installation process that makes it perfect for those new to smart home tech. Its wide compatibility means it can work with various curtain rod styles, with the exception of square rods.
- No need for screws or bolts, simply attach the main unit to your existing curtain rod, and you're set!
- Control your curtains by voice, via the iOS or Android app, or just give them a tug with the Touch & Go feature.
- Set timers and let the built-in light sensor open or close your curtains for better sleep and natural wake-up.
You have multiple control choices, such as using the SwitchBot app, the Touch & Go feature or remote control with the SwitchBot Hub. Additionally, the product offers health and energy advantages, thanks to the built-in light sensor for timers and schedules, as well as being able to handle heavy fabrics up to 8 kg (17 pounds) of curtain weight.
From my research, many customers have found the SwitchBot Curtain Rod 2.0 to be easy to operate, especially for those with mobility issues who have difficulty opening curtains. It's also generally praised for its compatibility with Alexa, its sunlit waking feature, user-friendly scheduling, and light sensor capabilities.
However, it is important to consider some of the concerns raised by other users. The initial device setup and calibration may be challenging for some, and the SwitchBot may require regular adjustments and might produce noise while operating.
Despite these drawbacks, the SwitchBot Curtain Rod 2.0 remains my top choice for those looking to integrate smart motorized curtains into their homes.
- Simple installation, no screws or bolts needed
- Works with various smart home systems
- Multiple control options (app, touch, voice)
- Automatic timer and light sensor settings
- Can push up to 8 kg (17 lbs) of curtain
- Works well with Alexa
- Battery lasts long before needing a recharge
- Great value for money
- May have issues with calibration drift
- Not suited for wider or heavier curtains without DIY modifications
- The motor can be noisy
- Some units may get stuck on standard rods
- Requires an additional hub for some features to work
- One product is needed for each side of the curtains; so it may not be cost-effective for some users
- Some users had issues with synchronization when using multiple devices on one window
Quoya Smart Motorized Curtains are customizable and compatible with many window sizes and hook-style curtains.
- These motorized curtains are ideal for hard-to-reach or heavy curtains.
- You can set a schedule for your curtains to open, or sync them with sunrise and sunset times.
- They work with all curtain types that use hooks, but not with eyelet, grommet, or ring curtains.
From my research, most users have praised Quoya's quiet, smooth operation and seamless integration with Alexa and other smart home systems.
The option to program the curtains, use a remote control or operate them manually is appreciated as you’re not restricted like some other motorized curtains. Plus, users compliment the solid build quality and efficient customer support.
In terms of smart functions, these motorized curtains come with touch motion activation, power-cut overdrive, scheduling, sunset and sunrise automation, app control, and compatibility with voice control systems. However, it's worth noting that some users faced challenges with certain features, such as the remote control malfunctioning or app connectivity issues, which may require some troubleshooting.
Despite the long feature list and general satisfaction by users, there are some drawbacks to consider.
Some users have reported difficulty with the installation process, citing poor and confusing instructions. While some were able to overcome this hurdle with the help of online resources and customer support, others found the process frustrating and time-consuming.
Nonetheless, Quoya Smart Motorized Curtains provide a highly-functional and worthwhile investment for those looking to modernize their home's window coverings.
- User-friendly design for various window sizes
- Quiet operation and smooth motion
- Can be programmed for scheduled openings, sunset, and sunrise automation
- Compatible with Alexa, Google Home, and Home Assistant
- Versatile installation options: wall or ceiling mount, one-way or two-way open system
- Excellent customer support and a 3-year warranty
- Multiple smart functions, including touch motion activation
- Helpful installation videos are available
- A challenging installation process for some users
- Installation instructions could be better with a poorly written user manual
- Track joiners are visible in the QL500 model
- Potential issues with app connectivity (likely related to Wi-Fi coverage)
- Some users had difficulties setting up the device on their smart home platforms
With the Somfy Motorized Curtain system users can control their curtains via a smartphone or remote control using the TaHoma app.
- Customize your curtains with smart home scenes to fit your lifestyle.
- A range of powerful and quiet motors for any setting.
- Also, offer battery-operated options that don't require power connections.
With easy installation, silent operation, and built-in battery systems, Somfy curtains provide a seamless smart home experience.
Users can create scenes to suit their lifestyles, combining curtains with other smart home brands for customized scenarios. Somfy's high-precision motors ensure perfect alignment and extended curtain life.
The system includes various devices such as the Glydea® ULTRA 60 Motor RTS, Irismo™ 45 WireFree RTS, TaHoma® RTS/Zigbee Smartphone and Tablet Interface, and Situo® 1 RTS Arctic II, among others.
The 5-year warranty offered by Somfy is one of the best in the industry.
The only downside to the Somfy system is while it is easy to install, you generally need to order it through an authorized agent or installer.
- Easy installation process, wireless
- Silent motor for opening and closing
- Compatible with smartphone control and smart home integration
- Multiple control options (remote, wall switch, app)
- 5-year warranty on motors
- Suits both residential and commercial settings
- Strong company reputation with extensive experience
- Pricing details not disclosed, requires inquiry
- Some product options have limited compatibility
The Yoolax device can be voice-controlled via Alexa and Google Assistant and comes with remote control, manual control, and TuyaSmart app control.
- The TuyaSmart app allows the user to set timers for the curtains to open and close based on weather changes, location changes, and schedules.
- The smart motor can remember the position of the curtains and the distance settings.
- The curtains can only open from the center but can be manually opened when the power is off.
The Yoolax Motorized Smart Curtain Track is an adjustable, DIY white curtain track that can stretch from 88 to 157 inches.
It comes with 30 curtain rollers and has an optional top or side installation. The motor is quiet and works with 100V-240V.
With the TuyaSmart app, Alexa, or Google Assistant, you can control the curtain's movement and set up timers. The smart motor can remember the curtain's position and distance settings, and it can also be manually operated in case of a power outage.
The curtain track is easy to install, with instructions and videos provided for assistance.
It’s worth noting that some customers have reported an occasional lag time with the system, leading to delays in opening and closing.
- Adjustable motorized curtain rod (87"-157" width)
- Generally easy to install with video instructions available
- Voice control via Alexa and Google Assistant
- TuyaSmart APP control and timer settings
- Responsive, quiet motor operation
- DIY white curtain track length
- Manually operable when power is off
- Need to plug in, requires a nearby port
- No waterproof motor, cannot be installed outdoors
- Can only open from the center
- 30 curtain rollers by default, may need more depending on the size of the curtains
Automate your curtains based on weather, time, and other triggers using HomeKit, Alexa, and Google Home.
- Multiple control methods are available, including voice commands, phone apps, and even light sensors that detect brightness.
- Smart home automations allow you to personalize settings based on time of day, weather, lighting, and more.
- Long battery life with a huge 6000mAh rechargeable battery that lasts up to a year.
The Aqara Smart Curtain Motor E1 (CM-M01) is a curtain motor that can handle up to 26.4 pounds. It is battery-powered, making it easy to install, and comes with 2 Lithium Ion batteries. It is controlled through the Aqara Home app and is compatible with Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant for voice control.
Additionally, it has a remote control feature, can be set on a timer, and can be integrated with various smart home systems like HomeKit, Alexa, Google Home, and IFTTT.
This motor also boasts a sunlight sensor for automatic control, and it requires an Aqara 3.0 Hub (sold separately) for Wi-Fi connectivity. It supports Zigbee making it an ideal fit for those with an existing Zigbee smart home system.
The motor is compatible with U- and I-Rails, however, there is a lack of a rod adapter included in the package, which may affect the motor's compatibility with certain curtain setups.
There have also been reports of the motor slipping on slim aluminum U-rails, making it less suitable for those installations.
Regardless of these limitations, the Aqara Smart Curtain Motor E1 is generally well-received for its impressive performance on mid-weight curtains.
- Powerful motor for mid-weight curtains
- Multiple control methods: app, voice platforms
- Smart home automations for energy savings
- Long battery life of up to a year
- Rechargeable battery lasts up to a year and can be charged through Type-C using a power bank or power supply
- HomeKit, Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT support
- Easy installation on existing curtain rails without additional tools required
- Aqara Zigbee 3.0 Hub required (not included)
- May not work on slim aluminum u-rails
- Some automation difficulties reported
- Incompatibility with certain I- and U-rails
- Only supports U- and I-Rails with specific dimensions
Lutron Drapery Systems are a cut above traditional drapery systems, offering reliable, convenient and elegant control of daylight.
- The unique Kirbé system pulls curtains up and out of the way, giving better access to your windows.
- You can choose from pinch pleat or ripple fold styles for your curtains.
- The tracks can be up to 30 feet long, curved, or even have manual-open options.
If considering the Lutron QS, you have the option to choose between two drapery pleat styles: Pinch Pleat and Ripplefold. Each pleat style offers a unique look that can complement the overall design of your room.
As you think about the layout of your window, consider the various track options available for your smart motorized curtains. Straight and curved tracks can be used to accommodate different window shapes, and single, dual, or tandem systems can be employed for larger or heavier drapes.
Another important aspect to think about is the draw style of your smart motorized curtains. With the Lutron QS, you can choose between right draw, left draw, center draw, and tandem systems. This decision will affect the way your curtains open and close, so be sure to choose a draw style that will best suit your needs and preferences.
Drive capacity is an essential factor to consider when selecting your smart motorized curtains. With the Lutron QS, you can choose between D105, D145, and D175 drive options, which vary in their ability to support the weight of your drapes and track requirements.
- Quiet and convenient daylight control
- Wide range of track options: straight, curved, spliced
- Multiple drapery pleat styles: pinch pleat, ripple fold, Kirbé
- Up to 30 ft long tracks, 90° curves
- Manual-open override option
- Different drive options for various weight capacities
- Versatile applications for any room
- Limited to drapery fabric weight up to 175 lbs
- Maximum 60 ft track length for tandem systems
- Requires professional installation
Silky Rider automates new and existing pull-cord tracks for heavy, light, and out-of-reach window treatments
- Easily installed and operated by end-users, with no need for outside contractors
- Control your curtains with a simple touch of a button or smart systems
- Soft start and emergency stop systems for flexible use
The Smart Remote Control Motorized Automated Power Curtain is a convenient and affordable way to automate new and existing pull-cord tracks, allowing easy control of heavy, light, or out-of-reach window treatments.
Its soft start and emergency stop systems provide safe and flexible use. The Silky Rider system is easily installed and operated by the end user, without the need for an installer.
With a push of a button or using the onboard smart systems, the curtain can adjust for privacy and provide sun and heat protection.
The unit features learning and timer systems, good morning and good night systems, and present simulation systems.
The device has a 5-year warranty or 120 thousand cycles.
- Silky Rider provides a simple, sophisticated, and affordable method to automate new and existing pull-cord tracks.
- With a push of a button or using the onboard smart systems, Silky Rider adjusts the window covering for privacy and more.
- Control your curtain with a simple touch of a button or smart systems.
- Designed for heavy-duty operation, especially for hotels and homes, motorized window coverings are today's standard.
- Features soft start and emergency stop systems for flexible use.
- Silky Rider is guaranteed for 60 months or 120 thousand cycles whichever comes first.
- A bit on the bulky side when positioned on the wall
- Only works with pull cords
Motorized curtains with remote control, voice commands, and mobile app capabilities.
- Quiet operation ideal for sitting rooms
- Smart functions such as time scheduling and hands-on control when power is off
- Adjustable length and different installation options
The American Homesupplier motorized window shades rod is a heavy-duty and durable product with a maximum weight capacity of 80 lbs. It's made with thick aluminum for long-lasting use.
It operates quietly and comes with a three-year warranty for peace of mind. The rod has convenient controls like a handheld remote, mobile app (TuyaSmart, SmartLife), and voice assistant (compatible with Amazon Alexa, and Google Home) without requiring any Hub.
- Can support heavy loads of up to 80 lbs
- Quiet operation with a 3-year motor warranty
- Convenient voice and app controls, no hub required
- Smart functions like scheduling and customization
- Adjustable length, compatible with various installation types
- Responsive customer service and free replacement parts
- Good value, and more affordable than competitors
- Unclear and confusing installation instructions
- Remote control battery access could be better
- Requires an AC power source, which limits placement options for the motor
The smart functions of this product include time scheduling, opening position customization, sunset and sunrise automation, pull-to-open technology, and a manual override option when power is off.
The rod is adjustable in length and accommodates various types of installations (such as central open, left open, right open, dual track system, and 90/135 degree curved systems)
However, it's important to consider some issues that users have faced, such as the unclear installation instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Unique fabric for privacy, UV protection, and energy-saving.
- Adjustable track and smart motor for easy customization and operation
- Can be controlled by a remote or mobile app (compatible with Android and iOS)
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant for voice control
This motorized blackout curtain set features a low noise level and can support curtains up to 43 x 87 x 87 inches in size. It has a built-in electric motor and can be controlled through a smartphone app on both Android and iOS. The set is also compatible with voice control via Alexa and Google Home, has a remote control, and can be integrated with smart home systems without needing a hub.
The curtain set offers energy efficiency through thermal insulation, 95% blackout fabric, and UV protection for privacy. You can set schedules and the automatic control feature adjusts the curtains as needed, with a manual override option in case of a power cut.
Installation is easy, with adjustable track compatibility for curtain rods. The system offers Wi-Fi connectivity and multiple control options, including remote, app, and voice.
The Graywind system comes with a two-year limited warranty.
- 95% blackout fabric provides privacy and UV protection
- Thermal insulation and energy saving
- Quiet and smooth motorized operation
- Compatible with Android, iOS, Alexa, and Google Assistant
- Customizable size and adjustable track
- Positive customer service experiences
- Remote and app control options are available
- The curtains might not be suitable for wider windows as their customized size might be limited.
- Some users experienced installation difficulties and found it to be quite time-consuming
- Instructions could be improved
DIY Installation with Adjustable Track Length.
- Super quiet motorized curtains that won't disturb you
- Can be controlled by Alexa, Google Home, or Smart Life App
- Comes with remote and mounting accessories.
The OlideSmart Smart Track System includes a motor, remote, tracks, mounting accessories, and instructions.
It offers several features, such as quiet motor operation, voice control through Amazon Alexa and Google Home, app control via the Tuya app, easy installation, and flexible length adjusting.
- Good quality and durability
- Easy assembly with fitting components
- Silent operation and low noise
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- Light trigger mode for manual control
- Adjustable track length
- Challenging installation for some users
- Short cable included
- May require additional parts (e.g. USA adapter)
- Instructions could be difficult to follow
Installation can be done in two ways and the length of tracks can be customized based on window length. This smart curtain system can be triggered manually or through the light touch mode.
However, it's important to note that some users have experienced challenges during the installation process and found the instructions somewhat difficult to follow.
There have also been reports of issues with pairing the curtains with smart home devices and a complaint that the provided AC cable is too short to reach the power outlet.
Smart Curtains FAQs
How do you install a motorized curtain track?
To install a motorized curtain track, first, measure the width of the window and purchase a track that fits. Then, mount the brackets onto the wall or ceiling, and attach the motorized track to the brackets.
Connect the motor to a power source, and then install the curtain onto the track. Finally, program the remote control or connect the motorized track to a home automation system for control.
How are smart curtains powered?
Smart curtains are typically powered by electricity, either via a plug-in power supply or hardwired into the home's electrical system (For example the Quoya). There are also battery-powered curtain motors you can purchase that run along the curtain rod or rail (such as the Aqara Motor).
Somfy offers a battery-powered curtain motor that works with a track system. Solar panels are also an option to trickle battery-powered devices (like the SwitchBot Motor and Solar Panel)
Are smart curtains worth it?
Smart curtains can offer convenience, energy savings, and added security features, such as automatic opening and closing when you're away from home.
However, they can also be more expensive than traditional curtains and may require professional installation. Ultimately, it's up to each individual to decide if the benefits of smart curtains outweigh the costs.
Who makes motorized curtains?
Some popular smart motorized curtain brands to consider include Somfy, Lutron, SwitchBot, Aqara, Quoya, and Homesupplier. These offer a range of devices from runner motors positioned on the curtain pole to fully automated curtain track systems.
Hello Sophia, that was an excellent article. Do you have any recommendations for a curved track motorized curtain product. We have a curved picture window.
While not fully curved, Quoya has 135 degree track bends you could install to align to the curve. Details here – https://www.amazon.com/Quoya-Smart-Curtain-Tracks-Degrees/dp/B086Z89D6W
Other than that, I am not aware of any fully curved motorized tracks.
Great article, Sophia. Thanks so much for the excellent level of details and pointing out the pros and cons of each.
Do you have any suggestions for wire-free motorized curtain tracks? I have 12 foot windows and most don’t allow for cords that long. I’d also prefer not to see any wires plugged in anyway. Thanks!
Weight seems to be the biggest issue as heavy curtains need a decent amount of torque to move, which is why they usually need a power supply.
The only device I am aware of is the Switchbot curtain motor listed above and again this only works up to 8kg / 17lbs. Erod did have a product on the market which could be powered by battery, however I do not see if for sale any more.
Perhaps the Switchbot could work for you?
Great article, really good and informative.
I have bought motorized roller blinds from OmniaBlinds that I’m really satisfied with. Good price and very nice support team. They deserve to be on this list.
Wasn’t aware of OmniaBlinds so will definitely have a look at them for the next revision. Good to hear you had a positive experience!