There's nothing more frustrating than your HVAC controls suddenly dying on you on an extremely cold or warm day!
Don't worry because, in this guide, I’ve provided step-by-step instructions on how you can reset your White Rodgers thermostat to get your heating and cooling back up and running, so keep reading on!
Before you remove the thermostat from its base plate, as directed in the instructions, make sure to isolate the circuit to avoid exposure to live wiring.
Also, I always advise readers not to tackle any DIY or electrical tasks they are not skilled in carrying out, and if in any doubt, it’s best to get the help of a professional.
Find Your Thermostat Model First
The reset instructions can vary between each thermostat model. So to make sure you don’t make any mistakes and get the most accurate instructions, it’s better to know the specific model number of your thermostat.
- Usually, the model number is printed on the back of the thermostat cover plate. So to find the model number you will have to remove the cover plate or pull the thermostat out from the wall mount.
- Be careful when doing so as the thermostat wiring may be exposed when you remove the cover plate/thermostat display.
- Besides that, you can also check the user manuals or any documentation that came with your thermostat to find your model number.
- However, if you can’t find the exact model number, we have included images of each thermostat below to help guide you.
Classic 80 & 70 Series White Rodgers Thermostat
For the classic 80 and 70 series White Rodgers thermostats, resetting the device involves a straightforward process with some minor differences depending on the specific model.
So make sure to try out each of the methods mentioned below.
The model numbers compatible with these methods are:
Factory Reset (First Method)
- Press and hold the Up, Down arrow, and the TIME buttons together.
- Wait for the display to go blank and power up back again.
- Now, your thermostat's configuration settings are factory reset.
Factory Reset (Second Method)
- Press and hold the Up and/or Down arrow buttons.
- While holding them down, toggle the system switch from “OFF” to “HEAT.”
- The thermostat will go blank and restart.
- After that, your settings will be completely reset.
Sensi Touch Smart Thermostat
The Sensi touch smart thermostat is one of Emerson's latest models which includes smart home integrations, voice compatibility with Alexa and Google Home, and an HD color touch screen.
On top of that, it can help you shave off almost 23% of your energy bills with smart features like geofencing, flexible schedules, and remote access.
Compatible Model Numbers:
To reset your schedule you can simply set a new schedule in the touchscreen interface:
- Press “Menu”
- Then tap on “Schedule.” Make sure the schedule is set to “On”
- After that, follow the instructions in the display to edit your schedule as necessary.
- Finally, tap on “Save.”
The schedule can also be updated via the Sensi App.
The Wi-Fi network reset process varies depending on if you have the Sensi App installed on an iOS or Android device.
So for detailed instructions, make sure to visit https://sensi.emerson.com/en-us/support/reconnecting-sensi-thermostat-to-wifi
Start fresh with your White Rodgers/Emerson thermostat by performing a factory reset. Here’s how:
- Click on “Menu” to access the thermostat settings.
- Choose “About Thermostat” to view detailed device information.
- Select “Factory Reset” to revert all settings to their default state.
Your Sensi Touch Smart thermostat is now reset and ready to initialize!
Sensi Smart Thermostat
The Sensi Smart Thermostat is a popular choice for smart homes with extensive compatibility for heating and cooling systems along with support for voice commands with Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant.
Similar to its Sensi Touch counterpart, it also features geo-fencing, flexible scheduling, and remote access along with providing detailed analytics on your energy usage.
- Compatible Model Number: 1F87U-42WF
Carrying Out a Factory Reset
- Detach the thermostat from its wall plate.
- Turn the thermostat over and remove the two AA batteries.
- Wait for about two minutes before reinserting the batteries or replacing them with a fresh pair.
- Once the device resets and restarts, you can start pairing the thermostat with your app.
80 Series Emerson
For these 80 Series Emerson programmable thermostats, you have the option to rest the schedule and user settings via the menu or perform a force reset in case the device is not responding.
Schedule and User Settings Reset
- Press and hold the Menu and Backlight buttons together.
- Wait for a few seconds until the display goes blank
- Then wait until the thermostat completes the reset process by powering back up again.
If the device restarts and functions with a cleared schedule your thermostat’s schedule and user settings are successfully reset.
- Detach the cover plate from your thermostat to access the batteries.
- After that, take out one of the batteries and wait for two minutes
- If necessary, you can replace the batteries with a fresh set
- After making sure the device is fully powered down for two minutes, reinstall the batteries
- Finally, plug the thermostat back into the wall mount and wait for it to restart.
Blue Series 12″/6″ and 4″
Emerson touchscreen thermostat
The Blue Series 12″/6″ and 4″ Emerson Touchscreen Thermostats are highly versatile and cater to a variety of system types. These include heat pumps and universal, single-stage, and multi-stage HVAC systems.
Beyond that, these user-friendly devices offer options for both programmable and non-programmable schedules, all with the convenience of a backlit display.
- 12″ Models: 1F95-1277, 1F95-1280, 1F97-1277, 1F95-1291
- 6″ Models: 1F95EZ-0671, 1F95-0671, 1F95-0680
- 4″ Models: 1F85-0422 ,1F83-0471
Revert Schedules and User Settings to Default
To reset your thermostat's software settings:
- Press and hold the Up, Down, and System/Fan keys together until the display goes blank
- Then let go
- The thermostat will continue with the reset, after which, the screen will indicate a successful reset.
If you’ve got a blank display or unresponsive controls, you can go ahead with a hard reset. However, don’t forget that this will remove all your custom settings.
- Begin by removing the thermostat cover from the wall plate to expose the inner components.
- Then, take out the batteries and wait for two minutes; this allows the unit to reset itself.
- After the two minutes are up, replace the batteries and reattach the cover plate.
- However, please note that several 12″ Series models may require additional steps
- These include removing the R and C wires from their respective terminals, so make sure to shut down the power and avoid shorting them together during this process.
Emerson Blue Series 2″
The Blue Series 2″ Emerson Thermostat takes a step up from the 70 Series by offering a mix of programmable and non-programmable options.
Factory Reset Procedure
- Make sure the system is set to “Cool,” “Heat,” or “Emer.”
- Then, press and hold the Up and Down arrow and either the TIME or PRGM button.
- Now, wait for the display to go blank and reappear.
Your thermostat's schedule, clock, and settings are now reset.
Comfort-Set® 90 Series
White Rodgers thermostat
The Comfort-Set® 90 Series White Rodgers Thermostat offers customizable settings and precise temperature control, making it an excellent choice for maintaining a comfortable environment in your home.
- Compatible Model: 1F90/1F97-3XX
Check Stat Error
- If your Comfort-Set® 90 Series thermostat displays “CHECK STAT,” inspect the buttons since one may be stuck or the sensor could malfunction.
- If so, examine the sensor wiring connections, and buttons and ensure the device is powered on.
- If everything looks fine, press and hold the “PROGRAM (Run)” button to reset the display.
- If the display doesn’t clear up, you can go ahead with the factory reset instructions mentioned below.
- Remove the thermostat from the wall and take out the batteries for about 5 minutes.
- Afterward, replace the batteries,
- Then reattach the thermostat to the wall, and reconnect the power.
- The display should now show up correctly
- If not, contact a service professional or consider replacing the unit.
Line Voltage White Rodgers Thermostat
Digital Line Voltage Thermostat
- Compatible Model: 1E65-144
- Press and hold the Up or Down arrow buttons on the thermostat.
- While still holding the arrow button, press the light or backlight button for a few seconds.
- Check the display and wait until it goes blank and reappears. This will indicate a successful reset.
Radio Thermostat CT101
Z-Wave thermostat by Radio Thermostat
- Gently remove the top plate of the thermostat.
- Press and hold the Reset button for a few seconds.
- The screen will start flashing and the device will start resetting
- While it’s resetting, carefully replace the top plate.
Stuck On Hold
When your thermostat is stuck on hold, your HVAC system is set on a particular temperature permanently until you cancel the hold.
To get your White Rodgers Thermostat off of the Hold, you need to press and hold the “Run Schedule” button.
If you need more specific information on how to troubleshoot your thermostat, I recommend you download the specific thermostat instruction manual.
To clear your settings or get rid of a frozen display, a hard reset on your White Rodgers or Emerson thermostat is the only solution.
The process may vary depending on the model but it doesn’t take a lot of time or special tools. So make sure to read the instructions I’ve laid above and drop a comment if you have any questions.