So you're looking to use Google Home as a Bluetooth speaker to stream audio … you're in the right place! Step by step instructions are below. Let's get started!
Enabling Pairing Mode on Google Home
Before connecting your phone to your Google Home speaker via Bluetooth, you have to put the speaker in Pairing Mode.
You can do this in two ways. You can either use a Google Voice assistant command or the Google Home app. Let’s run through both ways.
Using the Google Voice Assistant
This is the simplest method – just use the voice command “OK Google” and then say “Enable Bluetooth Pairing.”
Your device will automatically switch to Bluetooth Pairing Mode.
Via the App
- Go into Google Home on your phone.
- Choose the Google Home device you want to pair with your phone.
- Touch on the Settings icon .
- Navigate to Audio > Paired Bluetooth Devices.
- Press Enable Pairing Mode.
Your Google Home speaker is ready to pair and connect with your mobile, or any other Bluetooth enabled device. Once the speaker is in Pairing Mode, you can now connect your smartphone to the speaker.
Let’s look at how you can do this for various devices.
Connecting Google Home to iPhone
You can connect your iPhone or iPad to your Google Home speaker after you’ve enabled Pairing Mode. Here’s a quick guide on how you can pair both devices.
- Open the Settings app.
- Navigate down to the Bluetooth option and select it.
- Make sure the Bluetooth is turned on.
- Your device will start searching for Bluetooth devices around it.
- Once it's done searching, look for your Google Home device under Other Devices.
- It's usually named Google Home by default, but if you’ve changed the name, look for the new name.
- Select your device and pair both of them together.
- Once they finish pairing, you can play music via the Google Home speaker.
Connecting Google Home to Android
You can also connect your Android smartphone to a Google Home speaker via Bluetooth. Here’s how you can do it.
- From your phone’s home screen, swipe down from the top to open the action centre.
- Locate the Bluetooth icon and long-press it to open the Bluetooth settings.
- If the Bluetooth setting isn’t here, you can access it by clicking on the Settings app, then navigating to Bluetooth.
- Make sure you switch on the Bluetooth.
- Depending on your device, scroll down to Available Devices > Pair New Devices > Search for New Devices.
- Tap on it and let your smartphone search for new devices.
- Look for your Google Home speaker’s name on the list of devices. When you find it, click on the speaker.
- Wait for the two devices to pair. After this, you can use your Google Home speaker to play music just like a Bluetooth speaker.
Using Google Home as a Computer Speaker
Your Google Home speaker can also double as your laptop or PC’s speaker via Bluetooth. You can set it up using these simple steps.
- Make sure you enable Bluetooth Pairing on the Google Home device.
- On your Windows PC’s search bar, search for Bluetooth Settings. Click on the Bluetooth System setting that comes up.
- Under the setting, make sure the Bluetooth feature is turned on.
- Click on Add Device.
- In the menu that appears, select Bluetooth Device.
- The PC will scan for available devices. When it’s done scanning, select your Google Home speaker from devices the PC discovers.
- Wait a few seconds for the pairing to finish. Once the pairing is complete, you can now use your Google Home speaker as a PC speaker.
Playing Content from Google Chrome on Google Speakers
You can play content directly from your Chrome browser to your Google speaker using the Chromecast feature. Here’s how you can enable this feature.
First, make sure you connect your PC and your Google Home speaker to the same Wi-Fi network. Also, the chrome browser should be installed and up to date.
- Click the three dots at the top right corner to check for Chrome updates. From the menu, navigate to Help > About Chrome.
- If any Chrome updates are available, install them.
To play content directly from any webpage:
- Right-click on the page and select Cast.
- Select the Google Home speaker you want to use for playing the audio.
To put the Cast icon permanently on the toolbar:
- Click on the icon at the top right corner and select Cast from the options.
- The Cast icon will temporarily appear on the toolbar.
- To make it permanent, right-click on the icon and check Always Show Icon.
Some online pages usually have the Cast button embedded on their pages. You can find the button near other media controls. So, hit the Cast button and select your Google Home speaker from the menu that shows up.
Google Home speakers can double as decent Bluetooth speakers for playing your music around the house.
Once you set them up and pair them correctly using our guide, you can enjoy premium sound in addition to wireless control.