Temperature holds can be very handy when you want to break away from the programmed schedule and set up a custom temperature setpoint.
In most models, you can cancel an existing hold by creating a new one or by pressing on the “Run Schedule” button.
So in this article, I’ll guide you through how to get out of hold mode using a couple of different methods.
What is a Hold?
A “Hold” is a setting where you can override the programmed schedule of the thermostat to a custom temperature or system mode.
This allows you to make immediate changes to the temperature anytime; even when it's running a schedule.
For White Rodgers/Emerson thermostats, you can set up a temporary hold (which is the default setting) or set up a permanent hold; which will then maintain your setpoint indefinitely or until you change it again.
White Rodgers/Emerson Thermostat Getting Stuck on a Hold
After you've set up a temporary or permanent hold, there can be several situations where the thermostat glitches out or won't allow you to return to the default schedule or create a new temperature hold.
If this happens, there are several ways you can fix it:
- Cancel the hold via the app.
- Cancel the hold manually on the thermostat.
- Toggle the schedule on and off.
- Create a new hold to override the existing one.
- Restart the thermostat.
- Reset the thermostat.
So let's talk more about these fixes in the sections below.
1. Cancel the Hold Via the App
Sensi mobile app for iOS and Android
For Sensi smart thermostats connected to the Sensi mobile app, you can try to cancel the schedule on the app. Here's how:
- Open the Sensi app and select your thermostat.
- Locate the “X” at the bottom of the home screen, where it displays the programmed schedule's timeline.
- Tap on the “X” to cancel your hold, and again on “Yes” to confirm changes.
After that, you can easily set up a new hold or let the thermostat revert to the schedule.
2. Cancel the Hold Manually at the Thermostat
If the app is not responding or you don't have a smart model, the next best option is to try to create a new hold to override the existing one or cancel the hold manually via the thermostat.
Sensi Touch Smart
Model Number: 1F95U-42WFB 1F95U-42WF
To cancel a hold in this lineup, you can either:
- Create a new hold.
- Toggle the schedule to “On”
Create a New Hold
To create a new hold in your Sensi Touch Smart model:
- Wake up the thermostat or return it to the home screen.
- If you want to create a permanent hold, first navigate to “Menu” → “Schedule” and toggle the Schedule to Off.
- After that, return to the home screen and select the mode button at the bottom left.
- Then pick your desired system mode.
- After that, use the up and down arrows at the mid-right of the screen to adjust the temperature to your desired setpoint.
- The “Set-To” temperature will change, indicating the new temperature, and an “Until:” text label will indicate the end time for this hold.
- You can then leave the thermostat to maintain this temporary hold until it ends and returns to your programmed schedule.
- However, if you want to create a permanent hold instead, you can simply toggle the schedule to “Off” in the schedule menu
Toggle the Schedule to “On”
If the above method didn't work to cancel the old hold and create a new one, you can try to toggle the schedule settings on and off. Here's how:
- On your thermostat's home screen, tap on “Menu” at the upper left.
- Then, select the “Schedule” option.
- After that, toggle the schedule option from “Off” to “On.”
- If it was switched on already, you can toggle it off and turn it back on.
- Then, return to the home menu (using the left arrow at the top-left of the display)
- See if the previous hold goes away.
Sensi Smart Thermostat
Model Number: 1F87U-42WF
When the Sensi smart thermostat is running a hold, it will display a “Temporarily Set To” or “Set To” message next to the setpoint temperature.
To cancel this stubborn hold, the same two methods mentioned above will work. However, the steps to carry this out are somewhat different.
So to create a hold over the existing one or cancel it:
- Simply adjust the temperature using the up and down arrow buttons.
- Then, use the “System” button to toggle to the desired system mode.
- After that, toggle the “Schedule” mode to On for a temporary hold or turn it Off to create a permanent hold.
- To cancel a permanent hold, you can simply toggle the schedule to “On.”
Temporary holds typically end after two hours or at the start of the next scheduled setpoint/time period.
Sensi Touch 2 Smart
Model Numbers: 1F96U-42WF, 1F96U-42WFB
If the Sensi Touch 2 Smart is currently running a temporary hold, it will display a “Hold Until” message at the bottom along with the time it should end.
To cancel this hold, you can create a new one to override it or toggle the Schedule on and off:
- Simply use the + and – buttons to adjust the temperature to your desired setpoint.
- Then, tap on the system fan button (at the mid-left) to switch to your desired system mode.
- Now, the thermostat will display a “Hold Until” message indicating the time.
- To make this a permanent hold or get the thermostat out of a permanent hold, you can toggle the schedule option at its corresponding menu. Here's how:
- Tap the menu button at the top left and select “Schedule.”
- Then, toggle the schedule switch to “Off” or “On” as necessary.
- Use the left arrows at the upper left to return to the home screen.
Emerson Blue Series 12″/6″/4″
Models: 1F95-1277, 1F95-1280, 1F97-1277, 1F95-1291, 1F95EZ-0671, 1F95-0671, 1F95-0680, 1F85-0422 ,1F83-0471
The display will read “Hold At” or “Temporary Hold At” to indicate a permanent or temporary hold.
- To create a new hold or override the existing one, simply use the up and down arrows to adjust the setpoint temperature.
- Then, adjust the system mode or fan settings as needed and check if the “Hold At” label changes accordingly.
- To cancel a hold and let the thermostat revert to the schedule, you can simply tap on “Run Schedule.”
Emerson Blue Series 2″
Model: 1F80-0261, 1F80-0224, 1F86EZ-0251, 1F86-0244, 1F82-0261, 1F89EZ-0251, 1F89-0211
Despite the smaller screen, the thermostat will display “Hold” or “Temp Hold” to indicate the type of hold.
- So to cancel a hold, simply press the “RUN/HOLD” button.
- To create a new temporary hold, simply use the up and down arrow buttons to adjust the temperature and use the system and fan switches to adjust as necessary.
- To create a permanent hold, adjust the system switch to either “HEAT” or “COOL.”
- Then, press the “RUN/HOLD” button so the “Hold” label lights up.
- After that, use the up and down arrows to adjust the temperature as necessary.
White Rodgers Classic 70/80 Series
Model: 1E78-140, 1E78-144, 1E78-151, 1F72-151, 1F78-144, 1F78-151, 1F79-111, 1F80-361, 1F82-261, 1F86-344, 1F87-361, 1F89-211
These older models only come with a permanent hold feature. So, whenever there's a hold, the display will indicate “HOLD” at the bottom left.
- To cancel the hold, simply press the “RUN” button.
- After that, you can let the thermostat revert to the schedule or create a new hold.
- First, make sure the system switch is set to “Heat” or “Cool.”
- Then, adjust fan settings as necessary.
- After that, press the “HOLD” button and see if the text lights up in the display.
- Now, you can use the up and down arrows to adjust the temperature as desired.
White Rodgers 70/80 Series
Model: 1F75C-11NP, 1F75C-11PR, 1F75H-21NP, 1F75H-21PR, 1F75P-21NP, 1F75P-21PR, 1F83C-11NP, 1F83C-11PR, 1F83H-21NP, 1F83H-21PR, 1F85U-22NP, 1F85U-22PR, 1F85U-42NP, 1F85U-42PR
Here, the display will indicate “Hold” and “Temporarily Hold” to help identify the two hold modes.
- To cancel either hold, you can simply press the “Run/Hold” button.
- After that, you can create a temporary hold by first adjusting the system to either Heat or Cool.
- For a temporary hold, simply use the up and down arrows to adjust the temperature setpoint as necessary. Make sure the display reads: “Temporarily Hold.”
- To create a permanent hold, press the “Run/Hold” button first, and then adjust the temperature. Check the display so that “Hold” is highlighted.
Restart or Reset the Thermostat
If the above options of creating a new hold or canceling the existing hold don't do anything, you can try to restart the device or factory reset it.
To restart the device, you can simply pull out the thermostat from the wall mount, take out one of the batteries and reinstall everything.
Resetting the device, however, requires a specific sequence of steps depending on the model. So check out this article for a full guide.
Holds can help you break away from the regular programmable schedule and set up a custom temperature to maintain permanently or until the next time period.
But despite their functionality, you need to know how to cancel them and return the thermostat to the schedule.
So you can either cancel the hold using the recommended approach or carry out a restart/reset if the device is not responding.